LED word of caucion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED word of caucion

If any one else plans on up grading their lights to leds make sure to get the ones that are the same size as the regular bulbs. I made the mistake of going for the extra bright ones which are 3 millimeters larger in diameter. Regular incandescent bulbs are 25 mm I got the 28 mm led.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ivan15; 10-21-2010, 05:06 PM.

If you are planning on also replacing the tail lights on bumper do not get the refracted leds, instead get the in line ones. They also will not fit on the first gen protege.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ivan15; 10-21-2010, 05:07 PM.

Comment

But on the bright side the 1157 bulbs fit on my other car and the 1157 and 168 bulbs fit on my trailer, which is still benefit. Why spend tens of dollars on trailer led upgrade when you can just change out the bulb and if I break the light housing on the trailer I can just get another cheap one from walmart.
      Attached Files

Comment

good points!! Also be aware that if you do a lot of driving in snow, LEDs do not produce as much heat, and so the snow will not melt off of the lens, sometimes completely blocking the light altogether. Already happens a bit with the incandescent bulbs.

--sarge

Comment

Originally posted by SgtRauksauff View Post
          good points!! Also be aware that if you do a lot of driving in snow, LEDs do not produce as much heat, and so the snow will not melt off of the lens, sometimes completely blocking the light altogether. Already happens a bit with the incandescent bulbs.

--sarge
          You could use them for the lights that eliminate the license plate. There is no need for heat there and in the long run you might even save at the pump.

Comment

Thanks for info! And what about the brightness of LED lamps and their corner of view for the drivers behind you? Are they visible in the bright sun lights? I'm planning such swap but these problems (brightness, corner) make me worrying...
            sigpic
            1990 323s BG 1.6i

Comment

Originally posted by labeo View Post
              Thanks for info! And what about the brightness of LED lamps and their corner of view for the drivers behind you? Are they visible in the bright sun lights? I'm planning such swap but these problems (brightness, corner) make me worrying...
              LEDs are about 87 percent as bright compared to a new incandescent bulb and consume less than 90 percent of power. The average life is 50,000 hours which means you won't have to change a light bulb ever again. Because leds do not use the whole light spectrum as indecent lights, you should aways install leds that are the same color as the lens to get maximum light out put. If you want led light that are brighter then the regular bulbs, then you need to purchase a light housing that comes from the factory with led lights in it. This will insure that the leds are all pointing the the right direction which will insure maximum light going out.

Comment

Thanks for clarification!
                But for BG we haven't such housing...
                As for average life - I replaced my rear stop lamp - it was original Koito! And it was working, the glass has lost its transparency just a little bit.
                Looking for smth like this:
                sigpic
                1990 323s BG 1.6i

Comment

What he say about my mama??
                  1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                  1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                  2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                  2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                  .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Just made me laugh out loud.

Comment

Working...
                    X