Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo/Nitrous/All motor ???

what would be the best choice to get?
    I already have Nitrous and I love it but theres some conciquences tha I dont like.
    ie. bottle refill cost $51 for a 10 lb bottle, high octane fuel (91-or better) ($2.39 here in Ca. @ arco), COPS, I have to hide the kit or else if I get caught I could be fine for $4-$5K for everything including the lawyer just incase they put me to court. Never I mean NEVER misshifts or else KABOOOMMM!!! say goodbye to your engine. No more redline, use Nitrous only for 3 consecutive races or u'll end up having a window on ur block or a hole on the piston. You will have upgrade ur tranny and clutch for it to hold all the power $$$.

I like it because its reliable. I dont have to worry too much about the wear and tear of the motor because I only use it sometimes. Fast very fast for a $220 mod.
    Where can you get 50 hp @ the crank for that price? Only use it when needed not all the time like all motor or turbo. Once button is pressed the car quiets down all the way to high rpm unlike all motor. Idle is stock.

All motor
    Well, I want all motor but not too fast just enough to hit 14.5 on a street tires. but here are some issues that I don't like...
    LOUD, people can hella tell when ur coming especially cops. fricking expensive $1,200 for the head work and thats not even installed, Smog. If your running mid 14's no way ur car will pass the smog. Idle sucks, more stress on the engine but not like having a turbo.

Good thing about all motor is that you get props everywhere cuz its all motor.

Turbo
    expensive too, wont pass smog, illegal on the street but it aint as bad as the Nitrous, high octane fuel, you have to buy turbo timer or u'll have to wait till ur engine is good to turn off. Engine wear and tear is high. Too much stress on the engine. its like shooting nitrous in the middle of the traffic.

I like it because its quiet, cheaper than an all motor, ppssssshhhhh sound is the Bomb, intercooler looks sick, Fast very fast just a lil tuning u can make it even faster.

I'm buying another 323 that is why I bought the upper rear spoiler on ebay. I'm trying to decide which route I should take all motor or turbo since my 323 now already have Nitrous....

what do you guys think?

Originally posted by 1ofdfew323
    ...Turbo
    expensive too, wont pass smog, illegal on the street but it aint as bad as the Nitrous, high octane fuel, you have to buy turbo timer or u'll have to wait till ur engine is good to turn off. Engine wear and tear is high. Too much stress on the engine. its like shooting nitrous in the middle of the traffic...

Turbo's are illegal? Bang for the buck the BPT is probably the best route. Nitrous is cool, but the cost of filling the bottle adds up and the risk of getting caught running it on the street is prohibitive. I highly doubt (in Kentucky) that a cop would write you a ticket for having a GTX/GTR swap... running a nitrous setup on the street though? they'd probably give you a hard time.
    '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
    '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
    '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
    '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
    '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
    '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

BP-T is not legit here in cali...I dont even think thats legal in KY.
      Thx for the reply I need more feed back about this...

Comment

nitrous is worse than a turbo... it's like take a sledge hammer to the crank as it's nearly an instantaneous change and shock to every driveline component. Bad for transmission, engine (especially at low engine speeds). It's also very difficult to control wheel spin on something that is either off or on.

NA - peak stress at TDC/BDC (compressive/tensile) increase as square of rpm. I'm sure you can find quotes on the net of Corky Bell and longer explanations of this. In order to make huge NA power, you are pretty much stuck aiming for high rpms. Basically, likely a lot worse on your motor than going turbo if you spend a lot of time in the high rpms.

Turbo- I think is the best choice. If you double the power, you don't double the stress on the motor. again, I suggest to find that corky bell explanation... basically turbo helps make power in an area where the piston acceleration is lower, and peak stress is lower. Turbos are much easier to control wheel spin with, and you don't have to fill up the damn bottle all the time (I've run both ways).

I'd say start with the BP or BPT. The BPT I think comes with a turbo that is too small for the task of fun and is expensive to pick up. You should be aiming for at least as much hp at the wheel as the weight of the car. If you pick up a BP it will be cheap to pick up, and you can save the money you spend on a proper turbo kit.

The donor vehicle I picked up for the swap into my MX3 was super cheap... and most of the BP stuff around here seems super cheap. The BPs really are so very overbuilt for the task of doing nothing but NA. They cry for a proper turbo even stock...

Comment

Yeah any engine swap is illegal because it is considered swapped for "racing purposes" and cars with swaps are usually deemed for "off road" use only. i read this somewhere a while ago. but i'd still go turbo considering you have your all motor already.
          91 Protege LX ---> cardomain site

91 protege lx: threw timing belt

88 323 se, mods: swapping in b6t, 70% complete, $150 takes it.

99.5 VW jetta 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by 1ofdfew323
            Turbo
            expensive too, wont pass smog, illegal on the street but it aint as bad as the Nitrous, high octane fuel, you have to buy turbo timer or u'll have to wait till ur engine is good to turn off. Engine wear and tear is high. Too much stress on the engine. its like shooting nitrous in the middle of the traffic.
            The engine under a properly tuned turbo setup should still be able to live about 90% of its n/a life...
            A good tuning should be able to make your car pass smog.
            -------------------------
            '91 LX
            '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
            -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
            well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Well we don't have vehicle/emmision inspections in Lexington, and I doubt a cop would know that the motor isn't stock... glad I don't live in cali
              '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
              '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
              '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
                The engine under a properly tuned turbo setup should still be able to live about 90% of its n/a life...
                A good tuning should be able to make your car pass smog.
                True it will pass the smog but u gotta remember protege's here in US don't come with turbo. So it'll fail the visual inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by JGSlayer
                  Yeah any engine swap is illegal because it is considered swapped for "racing purposes" and cars with swaps are usually deemed for "off road" use only. i read this somewhere a while ago. but i'd still go turbo considering you have your all motor already.
                  your funny. NO, not all swaps are illegal. b6 to BP is not illegal, ls on a crx is not illegal either or even corolla w/ s2000 motor it not illegal. As long as the engine is newer than the chassis of the car and as long as you have all the necessay smog equipment on there you're fine. Just bring it to the referee and get the BAR sticker.

Comment

when i said smog equipment I mean the whole 9 yards including the ECU, wiring harness, charcoal canister, etc.....

Comment

I don't think my swap is legal, '90 LS motor into a '91 CRX... bad boys bad boys....
                      '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                      '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                      '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

So 1ofdfew, why dont you just get a BPT out of a newer car? What year are yours.

Comment

BPT's weren't sold in the states, period. He could do a Mazdaspeed Protege swap... if the cost weren't so prohibative.
                          '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                          '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                          '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

i did the ZE swap...and added nitrous.
                            13.66@102

Comment

ahh, i see so no foriegn motor swaps. I was under the impression that as long as it was from a newer car it would be okay.

Surely theres a way around it, like getting some paper work for a B6T, but realy haveing a BPT. Do they really do an in depth check? I am asking because there are 0 emissions testing in New Mexico, so all of this is new to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X