Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody replaced a complete ignition switch on a 90-94 Protege/323?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody replaced a complete ignition switch on a 90-94 Protege/323?

Hi! there

Well, to make a long story short, I have the other half of my ignition key stuck inside the ignition switch. Other half of key was too messed up from bending it when trying to unlock the gas cap.

So I'm having a new ignition module with a new key from a wrecking yard comming. Is this a fairly accessible area underneath the steering column? And hopefully easy to take apart? I've never had that apart on my 1991 Protege DX w. auto tranny.

Any advice welcome.

Sincerely

Ronny in Montana
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (300Hp @ crank mildly modded)
    1991 Mazda Protege DX

look on mazda racers's website. He has a how-to on how to swap the clusters in the dash. Use part of that to pull the plastic shroud surrounding the ignition. From there, you should be able to pull any other parts off the lower dash that might be in the way.

It should be plug and play... AFAIK.....

Best of luck, oh and if you can get pics, that would be awesome.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

so ull be having 2 different keys to open and start the car??

Comment

Yep, two keys....but I can live with that. I happen to know a mechanic and the shop master at the local Mazda dealership. Talked tothem today after testdriving a '05 Subaru Legacy Outback GT (Turbo).

I'm going to get copies of the procedures how to take it all apart straight from their service manual. If they look good, I think I scan them in as .pdf's and post them on this board?
        1991 Mazda Protege DX

Comment

man that is so freakin easy. once you get the 4 bolts out that hold the plastic, its just a wiring connector ab a few more bolts. take you 10 mins!!!
          Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

Comment

Thanks 92_2_fast, just what I was looking forward to hear. I'll still post those pdf scans in case some one would be interested, I will also get the procedure for timing belt replacement which my Mazda is also due for.
            1991 Mazda Protege DX

Comment

more than interested... if you want make a how-to and do a write up. It would be more than appreciated.
              The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Working...
              X