194 Bulbs (for the dash cluster)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

194 Bulbs (for the dash cluster)

Does anyone know where I can get deep red bulbs at? I bought 4 of them at walmart, "GE 194R bulbs", R stands for red

Anyways, those light up an orange/pink type color... Anyone know of a *simi* common store that carries a deep red, maybe maroon color bulb? I want a bright red to match my CD player

Autozone has some I saw, but they look about the same as the ones I bought at walmart..

92 Protege DX - Sold.
    91 Dodge Dakota - Sold.
    95 Ford Contour GL - Crashed.
    96 Dodge Caravan - Sold.
    90 Honda Accord LX - Sold.
    98 Mazda 626 LX - DD.

if there very bright, hit em with a light coat of spray paint...more like a mist....yes, a mist....thats what i did, and mine are blue......but any bulb but an LED will fade over time....invest in the LED "194" style bulbs from corksport....thats what im doin.
    '91 Protege LX
    BP rockin 178,XXX
    *plans:
    new BP, pacesetter header/ new exaust, then some body work to clean it all up....hopefuly boost sooner or later.

Comment

Good idea man, walmart won't take them back anyways I was thinking about buying some glass paint, it's like 4 bucks though.. You think the lights would be damaged by the spray paint? (i've got duplicolor blaze red and high temp red engine paint)

edit: yeah I'm going to buy the leds from them when I have my paypal account

edit: cant mess it up more than the "condom" things on the regular bulbs.. I'll do it soon as theres some daylight outside. i might make a how-to on getting the cluster out, i know mazdaracer has one but i want to make one with more pics
      Last edited by txkprotege; 04-08-2005, 12:29 AM.

92 Protege DX - Sold.
      91 Dodge Dakota - Sold.
      96 Dodge Caravan - Sold.
      98 Mazda 626 LX - DD.

Comment

Even with red bulbs, the gauges won't look too red since there is green impregnated into the gauges.
        1991 Mazda 323 GTR Sedan
        MODS:
        GTR motor swap, F&R Familia strut bars, MX-3 Rear Lower strut tie bar, GTX front bumper, GTX grill, EDM headlights & corners, EDM 323 rear garnish, EDM spoiler, EGT sideskirts, MX-3 seats, GTX steering wheel, EGT glass sunroof, WRX hood scoop (functional!!), and other things that take too much space to list.....
        TO DO LIST:
        EDM/JDM rear bumper
        EDM/JDM power folding mirrors
        Repaint car

Comment

agreed, but i really hate bright green and the original bulbs are about shot anyways

I've never really investigated the subject, but are there in fact any aftermarket ways to spruce up the cluster? I know corksport sells some faces,but that's about all i've seen.

92 Protege DX - Sold.
          91 Dodge Dakota - Sold.
          96 Dodge Caravan - Sold.
          98 Mazda 626 LX - DD.

Comment

There are some lights that most part stores sell.. I think they are from apc.. and you can put them anywhere.. they shine down in a spread pattern.. They come in red, blue and green and I think white... they are real small and they come I think 3 lights in a pack...that is one alternative..
            sigpic

Comment

3am and I'm out spray painting and screwing around in the car.. the neighbors already flashed me with their flashlight and drove by :?

Just spray painted one of them. the color isn't TOO bad with the red bulbs in the first place, I'd just rather try to make it a deep color. besides, if i decide on going normal bulbs i'd have to buy another pack of 2 anyways, so this can be my test subject

92 Protege DX - Sold.
              91 Dodge Dakota - Sold.
              96 Dodge Caravan - Sold.
              98 Mazda 626 LX - DD.

Comment

Here's 2 pics, my camera doesnt pick up the red colors in the dark very well, the second pic shows an almost true color of it More at in this post

edit: ****! i forgot to hook up the odometer
                Attached Files
                Last edited by txkprotege; 04-08-2005, 05:18 AM.

92 Protege DX - Sold.
                91 Dodge Dakota - Sold.
                96 Dodge Caravan - Sold.
                98 Mazda 626 LX - DD.

Comment

Super Bright LEDs is one of the largest online retailers of LED lighting for commercial and residential uses. Enjoy free/same-day shipping on qualifying orders!

Get the super wide angle ones that have leds aiming out the sides too.

Comment

well, i did the red bulb thing awhile ago and i must say I HATE IT! mind you i hardly ever dive the car at night anyway, but i can't see ****. I used the Autozone APC i think...i had a gift card, needed to kill a few bucks... the color is OK, but it's hard to see the needles. atleast is is for me anyway (no old man cracks ok, i wear glasses and they WORK!)

anyway, check out my site i have some cluster customizing ideas and pics of what i've done.
                    www.mazdaracer.com in the DIY section.

Comment

Thanks MR. These are actually pretty bright but leds would make it much brighter I would guess I'm going to order them as soon as I can..

I forgot about mazdaracer.com :p:

92 Protege DX - Sold.
                      91 Dodge Dakota - Sold.
                      96 Dodge Caravan - Sold.
                      98 Mazda 626 LX - DD.

Comment

Even with red bulbs, the gauges won't look too red since there is green impregnated into the gauges. -BoostedPro
                        you think if you could detach the face and rough it up with super fine sand paper it would clear?
                        '91 Protege LX
                        BP rockin 178,XXX
                        *plans:
                        new BP, pacesetter header/ new exaust, then some body work to clean it all up....hopefuly boost sooner or later.

Comment

There's been a lot of speculation about that but I've never heard actual results from anyone who's done it. I'm planning on testing that pretty soon... I have my non-tach cluster set aside as a guinea pig for new backlight color and new gauge needles. I'll post results as soon as I can come up with something.

Comment

Red is the best color for gauges to be, because they don't night-blind you like blue and green ones do....
                            ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

That's true if there's no other light around, but with the headlights on the difference is so small it doesn't really matter. And psychologically blue is easier to look at than red... it's much more calming. Also, for the red to not blind you it has to be a perfect deep red color. Any orange in it completely negates the effect.

Comment

Working...
                              X