Lower speedo cable needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower speedo cable needed

I am the thrilled owner of 92 Protege LX 5 speed, but the speedo cable broke. I need the lower unit that connects to the tranny. Does anyone plan on going part hunting or maybe has one ? Will pay reasonable amount

They cost $20-$30 from the stealership, that'd be an easy part to pocket at a u-pull-it
    '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
    '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
    '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
    '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
    '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
    '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Yea they aren't too bad, I got bot for $70 from the dealer.
      Dan
      dreesemonkey

Comment

Can't find a used one locally. Mazda upgraded the connectors, new doesn't fit old. You have to replace both halves. Stealer said $85 with tax.

Comment

keep your eye out for one locally, or you may have to hitup the stealership.

sux...
          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Steal it from a junkyard.
            ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

Not only are the dealerships called stealerships. From the looks of this thread, some of our members are in the same league with them. Pay the junkyard their due. At least you're getting a substantial savings from the dealership. No matter how expensive it gets, DON'T STEAL !!!

Comment

Originally posted by mannydingo
                Not only are the dealerships called stealerships. From the looks of this thread, some of our members are in the same league with them. Pay the junkyard their due. At least you're getting a substantial savings from the dealership. No matter how expensive it gets, DON'T STEAL !!!

Stealing from junkyards only makes the prices go up, and the employes mad. I go to a local junkyard many, many times a year, they are always happy to see me, and give me friggen awsome deals on parts.

Me VBGarage HERE

"90% of young people that get into car accidents say "OH ****". The other 10% are from Wisconsin and say "Hold my beer and watch this!".

Comment

The way I figure it, if a j/y is going to charge me a $5 minimum for parts that aren't worth $5... i'm going to pocket them. They make plenty of money off the parts that are too large to pocket, besides... if I walked in to the office with a half of a speedo-cable they'd call me a ****tard and tell me to get it out of their face. If they've got a half dozen guys in there trying to buy a motor/tranny/etc they don't want to waste time writing out a reciept and updating the computer for a piece of speedo-cable/AC knob/etc.
                  '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                  '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                  '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

You can make excuses for yourself until you're blue in the face and it will still be stealing. Wal-Mart buys a shampoo for 40 cents and sells it to you for 5 times that and I don't see you stealing from them. Why? Because it's easier to get caught. If the junkyards would pay for a speedo cable you brought in you would still steal the small stuff. If they couldn't sell an engine or transmission to anyone you would still steal the small stuff. You would then make another excuse for doing it then. A business is a business. They didn't take out a loan to buy the land, pay the monthly or annual permits, electricity, water, maintenance, employees, taxes, equipment, etc, etc, etc, so they can charge $1 for the part they currently charge $5 for. You would charge the same and then be criticizing guys that think and steal like you. Mind you, this is the same part the dealer sometimes charges you $80 for and you still steal it. You would be screaming at how you don't go through the hell of running a business just to make "better than wages" money. You would have gone through the sweat and responsibility to live a wealthy life. That's what I would do and that's what you would do. Your response to this reply will still leave you as stealing something, no if, ands or buts.

Comment

christ they get these cars for next to nothing and sell the big parts and make a profit. I'm not paying this guy 6 dollars for a protege emblem I've been there 7 times with the same guy working the window and not once have they cut me a break so if I want an emblem or something I'll get it :p:

I have one of these lower speedo things in my trunk for the SOHC cable, is it interchangeable for the BP?

92 Protege DX - Sold.
                      91 Dodge Dakota - Sold.
                      95 Ford Contour GL - Crashed.
                      96 Dodge Caravan - Sold.
                      90 Honda Accord LX - Sold.
                      98 Mazda 626 LX - DD.

Comment

The SOHC speedo will work on the BP tranny, but it is physically longer... you will need a sspacer for it to work properly.
                        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

If they don't cut you a break, then they don't cut you a break. That's no excuse for stealing. If the price is too high for you then you just don't buy it and don't get one. Otherwise, you will be stealing. I wish you guys would get caught, taken away by the police, and then let go with no charges just so you could get the crap scared out of you. I am a poor schmuck but have imagined myself in the business owner's shoes and see their side of it. They're in business to make as much money as possible. That's what made our country what it is and better than every other country. Also, non-stealing people made this country. Back then, you didn't just get a slap on the wrist for stealing like they do these days. Don't you just love when a guy like me starts busting your balls?Bua, ha, ha, ha, ha. Bua, ha, ha, ha, ha

Comment

You can make excuses for yourself until you're blue in the face and it will still be stealing...
                            blah blah blah... did you even read my post? I'm not making excuses, i'm telling you how it is. The u-pull-it in Augusta is huge, i've gone in to the office to buy small stuff before and they roll their eyes at me for wasting their time on little POS parts that they don't give a flying **** about. Sure a new speedo-cable costs $60-$80 at the dealer... because it's NEW. Why pay $20 at the j/y for a speedo-cable that you don't even know if it'll last for 30 miles? They don't buy wrecked cars for the air conditioning knob, they buy them for the motor/tranny/etc... big stuff that costs thousands of dollars at the dealership if they even have them. Yes it is technically stealing, but I will bet money that if I went up to the guys at the u-pull-it and asked them how much they cared about people pocketing window switches and defrost buttons they would tell me "who gives a ****?". Now when people start posting about how they take a door off of a car and fill the thing with as many parts as they can fit behind the door-panel that gets me a little PO'd. Anything small and insignificant enough that you can put it in your pocket without anybody noticing is probably not worth enough for the j/y to care, but when you load a door up with as many parts as you can so you can sneak off with them for just the price of the door is pretty shady IMHO.
                            '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                            '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                            '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by thegreatelbobo
                              Stealing from junkyards only makes the prices go up, and the employes mad. I go to a local junkyard many, many times a year, they are always happy to see me, and give me friggen awsome deals on parts.

If you need the part and it costs too much, steal it.

If you don't need the part and it costs too much, do without.

If you can easily afford the part, buy it.
                              ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

Working...
                              X