Checking oil. Am i a freakin idiot?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking oil. Am i a freakin idiot?!

Long story short. Whenever i pull the dipstick out (after sitting all night) its all over fine. Wipe it all off, insert back in and turn it to its proper spot so it goes on the dipstick as designed (i think). Pull out and one side is F and other side is L! WTF lol. This seems to keep happening to me too. Am i a freakin moron or?
    **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
    95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Its probably getting wiped off the other side as its coming through the tube.
    '99 Miata - Begi manifold, T3, 2.5'' exhaust, ebay fmic, 460cc injectors, megasquirt, LC1, and toyota coil on plug conversion..

Comment

yes, yes you are.

j/k... As mikefly said you probably are just putting it in at a weird angle or something.....
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Sooooooooooooo its F?
        **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
        95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

probably, I wouldn't think it would wipe it to be full :p:

I can't really even check my oil for whatever reason... seems that it's always covering the dipstick.. crappy ass oil, I can't wait for my next change.. whether cold or hot the oil is always coming out as over full..

92 Protege DX - Sold.
          91 Dodge Dakota - Sold.
          95 Ford Contour GL - Crashed.
          96 Dodge Caravan - Sold.
          90 Honda Accord LX - Sold.
          98 Mazda 626 LX - DD.

Comment

Park it on a Real steep hilll and check it..........

Comment

you are supposed to pull it out, wipe it dry, put it back, spin it 1 full turn then pull it out again.

if it looks erronous (like if there is oil all over the place) wipe it dry again, repeat until you get a consistent looking line of oil on the stick.

the erroenous looking hsit happens if you try to get a reading right after the car has been run and oil is splashed up near the oil tube hole in teh oil pan. the sides of the tube will have oil and get al over the stick while you pull it out/push it in.
              93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
              02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
              05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

I always check 5 minutes after shut off, after the car has gotten up to temperature. You will find the 5-minute timing in many owner's manuals (not sure if the Prot manual says as much), because it gives the oil time to fall back into the oil pan, but not so long that all the oil is in the pan.

I've never spun the dip-stick; I will try that next time.
                2003 Protege LX • HomepageClemson SCC

Comment

dont worry, i dropped in 8 quarts on time and it still showed it was low
                  NOW WITH SPINNER HUB CAPS

Comment

Originally posted by Ambassador

Comment

Originally posted by Ambassador
                      holy crap dood.....

blow any seals or anything?

I thought I was bad when I put a full 5 quarts once.....
                      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Working...
                      X