This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How dumb can I get?

Not only did I do custom exhaust work a few months back that took forever and finally got done at 2:30AM, but I did it again last night.

I decided to go with 2.5" exhaust...found a HKS 1st gen PGT mandrel bent exhaust, the resonator section and the S section...seemed like it would bolt up pretty well...I also bought a Moroso Spiral core muffler(err resonator) and a Magnaflow dual outlet muffler.

The plan was to bolt the resonator section to my pacesetter downpipe, then weld the Moroso where the stock converter goes, and have 2 resonators...the S-part would line up pretty well, and the part that goes over the rear suspension would work too, then just put a flange on the back of the muffler and it would all work.

Well...we had to buy couplers and stuff but figured it would still work. Part of it did...the S part is perfect, the hanger is even in the right place...the part over the rear suspension works ok...well I didn't have a flange to go to the muffler(it was on the busted muffler at the junkyard, doh!), and the flange for the downpipe didn't match up...I ended up cutting the converter flange off, welding it onto the other part(which didn't work due to the rust), then there's a series of couplers and my Moroso...ohh and the HKS resonator didn't fit so we had to cut that out, then weld in more piping which likewise didn't work too well...

Long story short we got it "done" at 1:30AM, and it's barely on the car...

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

hahahha.......don't u just love exhaust. Ive gone thru so many different exhausts that im sick of trying. Ive tried it all....one exhaust system i had sounded like a harley. Ive never been happy with one that I had made, so I tried to make my own this summer. I cant weld for ****, so there were a lot of late frustrating nights. The end restult was an open header for a week, a lot of headaches, and money and time wasted. So I went back to a stock catback, but plan on having another custom exhaust made in the future.

Comment

Yeah...I didn't have enough time to explain what my exhaust consists of right now because my College Comp class was starting, lol.

My exhaust is now the pacesetter header/downpipe, then the OEM converter flange and about 3" of pipe, a coupler sits over it(completely loose and leaky), then a series of couplers, my Moroso(that's all welded together), then a stupid god damn half an aluminum flex pipe(what the hell was I thinking...ohh yeah, "Flex" means I won't have to get stuff lined up exactly right, hah) that's sitting on the Moroso, that goes to the HKS mid pipe/other pipes etc heh, then the amazing S-pipe(which works stunningly well, even has a Protege-esk hanger that I was able to use), then the flange that goes to the muffler is a disaster...I was missing the half for the muffler, and had cut the one off the HKS at the front of the midsection, which goes from a 2" to 2.5". So that's on there, then the other half of the flex pipe(which is kinda just sitting on it), then my pretty Magnaflow with a clamp...

For hangers, the mid section has a wire(yes, electrical wire) that spans across from each side of the heat sheild and holds that up pretty effectively but it sways down at the front near the downpipe but driveable since my car ISN'T lowered. Then there's the 1 great hanger on the S-pipe, then a pretty niftly hanger that bolts onto the flange at the muffler and that supports that pipe kind of ok. Then best of all, 2 sets of 4 wire ties, 1 loops around 1 muffler outlet and goes to the tow hook, and the other is looped around the other outlet and goes to the hanger on the left side.

Thus why I didn't drive the car to school today - 70-80mph on the highway and the exhaust gets pretty hot, then plastic wire ties - my $100 stainless steel muffler becomes a moving speed bump for the people behind me.

Tomarrow after work I hope to get a lot of it sorted out. My brother is going to the junkyard while I have work, he's getting that flange for the muffler that I need, then the polished tips off that muffler, possibly a Probe flexpipe(the mesh steel type, not my crappy aluminum flex tardedness), and other stuff.

The first time I did the custom exhaust work, which was my test pipe and then my '01 Protege muffler, it took a lot longer and I was only replacing the converter and the muffler, the rest was the same. It took freggin hours and hours because I was using my dad's pipe cutter, which would have been fine but a year or so ago my brother decided that it might be able to cut a coil spring and flat spotted it.

Anyway it's pretty loud right now, just as loud as my brother's MX-6 but since it leaks in atleast 5 places it sounds terrible under load. Car feels faster - I can get wheel spin in 1st when VICS opens which I could never get with my stock exhaust(and test pipe and '01 muffler), though you can barely hear it over the leaky loudness. When cruising without load it sound great!

And it backfires when I decel at high RPM! Yey! Especially when I go to the redline in first then let the RPMs fall to go into second(because if I do a hard shift to 2nd I'm sure the exhaust will be on the road).

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo

Comment

Thats funny u had college comp class to go to, because last night when I posted I was in my coolige comp course. I haven't payed attention once all semester. All I do is go on ebay and clubpro and aim. yur exhaust sounds like a friggin disaster man . You should have heard the way my car backfired when I was sportin the open header. It sounded like a goddamn tractor. When the stock exhaust on my car rots out, Im going to get a stainless mandrel bent headerback. But good luck with your exhaust........

Comment

yet another ghetto mod from mazkid, congrats.
          .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
          225.94wtq
          torque monster!!!!
          dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
          http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
          http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Originally posted by MazKid
            Yeah...I didn't have enough time to explain what my exhaust consists of right now because my College Comp class was starting, lol
            Perhaps you should spend more time on your college comp class and less time and effort on your ghetto-rigged exhaust system. Just a suggestion, but then, I could be wrong.

Happy Motoring!
            02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
            MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
            MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
            Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
            MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
            Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
            Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
            Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
            Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
            Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
            Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
            Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
            Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

haha i love how he told you you are a failure with so much tact
              1997 U-13 Nissan Altima

Comment

Erm note that I said that my class was starting so I couldn't elaborate in the post? Becides that's off topic.

And yeah the exhaust is very ghetto right now but I should be able to get it sorted between tonight and tomarrow night. Atleast my car runs good and reliable, I just suck at planning bigger mods lol.

Comment

an exhaust is a bigger mod???? stick to the leggos kid.
                  .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                  225.94wtq
                  torque monster!!!!
                  dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                  http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                  http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Originally posted by THEGOLDPRO
                    an exhaust is a bigger mod???? stick to the leggos kid.
                    hahahahaha :rofl:
                    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

whoa SNAPS!!!!! hahahaha
                      1997 U-13 Nissan Altima

Comment

Ohh hilarious!

Anyway got the rear section completely sorted - complete with 2 KL head bolts as muffler hangers.

Tomarrow is a junkyard day(half off everything at Pick and Pull!) but in the afternoon we are going to fix the middle section.

Drove the car a bit ago...it's loud as hell because it's leaking so bad. But it's freggin quick at high RPM now...feels the same at lower RPM but it just rips from 4,500-redline.

And yeah the exhaust is one of the bigger mods for me because it's a lot of customizing compared to other things. Plus I'm still a noob to modding. Can't believe I'm even going to attempt to supercharge my car. Though I'm definately getting a 2nd car before I do that so I don't have to half finish everything and hope the car is driveable.

Comment

YOU MOTHER****IN GOD DAM MOTHER****ER... u jsut destroyed a hks exhasut that isnt made anymore...that i WANT for my probe...DIE

Comment

Ohh poor baby! I found it before you, I can do whatever I want with it.

It looked like it would work great on a Probe...I bet it would sound good and I know it fit great. I can't believe I found part of a $450 exhaust system for $20.

I'm sorry I "destroyed" an exhaust on a car that would have been crushed with it. I'll try not to do that to you again since it upsets you so much.

Comment

Instead of being an ass, you should be kicking yourself for doing that.

You obviosuly could've sold that exhaust for a ****load more than you paid for it and got a custom cat-back fabbed up by pros.
                              My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
                              - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X