Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seems to be the common conception around this forum for me.
    89 Supra Turbo
    87 RX-7 TII
    91 dx
    92 dx

Comment

wow this is great.. 3 pages of worthless talking and no progress.. and even when you are given a post from a relative of someone (RX-7_2ner) who works in a shop that has a dyno and actually sees the results with his own eyes. his post is ignored and someone jokes that he should be banned because well jesus christ someone might come in here and burst this little bubble that we live in and have somthing that might prove us wrong. im not saying he's right though.. but im also not saying he's wrong. think about it.. what would be the point of lying about that.. there isnt one, or maybe he just wants everyone to get the most HP out of there car that they can? *dramatic chord* god forbid we try to *gulp* help people?!?!. either way i dont give a damn what anyone else thinks.. ive already emailed the owner of this board to get my account deleted, becuase i have no interest in being a member here anymore, i just thought that i would put my 2 sents in just once.

P.S. its not royal purple but if anyone remembers awhile back super street did an article where they took a whole bunch of cars and switched them to redline synthetic and they all gained whp on the dyno, idont remember which issue it was in but im sure someone will dig it up
      Last edited by 240SXSR20DET; 12-23-2005, 05:52 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=240SXSR20DET]wow this is great.. 3 pages of worthless talking and no progress..QUOTE]

Well, speaking purely for myself, all of my posts are important, relevant, technically sophisticated and practically required reading on our Forum. However, if you want to forego the privilege of remaining on the Forum and expanding both your knowledge base and your worth as a human being by your continued association with our fantastic members, there is little we can do about it except to wish you a happy life and Godspeed.

Happy Motoring!
        02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
        MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
        MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
        Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
        Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
        Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
        Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
        Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
        Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
        Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

remain on the forum and expand your knowledge base?

haha, nice one man.
          89 Supra Turbo
          87 RX-7 TII
          91 dx
          92 dx

Comment

Originally posted by RX7_2ner
            no. i think i'd rather believe dyno results than bad-talking and sentences ripped from other websites.
            Let's try and clear up some of the nonsense that's been forthcoming on this thread. Particularly for those of you who think dyno is a magic word and invoking it makes it the final authority on what is true. The dyno is just as subject to abuse, distortion and exaggeration as any other form of discourse dealing with performance increases. Nobody disputes the fact that true synthetic oils increase BHP for reasons already stated. The question, of course, is by how much? Beginning with the first post in this thread, although I've touched on this somewhat already, let's look at the video purporting to show a 9 HP increase. Does anyone even look at these references?

The dyno operator is hardly what I'd call an objective observer as he spends a good part of his time shilling for Royal Purple. I prefer my dyno operators impartial and objective. Next, the testing protocol is never specified. Just changing the protocol alone increases wheel HP output even in the absence of any performance upgrade. Then, notice that it's not just the engine oil that gets changed but also the transmission and differential oil. Now how do we separate out just the effect of the engine oil from the total mix, particularly since any reduction in driveline friction will also up the wheel HP when measured on a chassis dyno. Now the results: with the testing protocol unspecified, the HP climbed from the baseline 302.4 to 310.8 after the Royal Purple treatment. That's a difference of 8.4 HP or an increase of 2.8%.

To digress for a moment, Red Line, the maker of a highly respected true synthetic oil derived from Polyol ester Group V base stock, states that switching to their engine oil can produce a HP increase typically of 1 to 3%. This is just from an engine oil change alone. In a 3rd gen Protege, this would at best raise the HP from 130 to 133.9-certainly an excellent result to be obtained from just an engine oil change. So even if the Royal Purple video is accurate and truthful, their purported results are hardly earth-shattering and certainly in line with (but not superior to) Red Line's data. Since Red Line provides the most complete info on their oils with respect to any other synthetic oil website, I tend to trust their data above that of any other oil company.

Now let's get to the question of Royal Purple oil itself. I don't give a damn what oil anyone on this Forum uses or how much they swear by it. What I do care about is trying to prevent our members from being ripped-off by what I consider to be marketing scams. Unfortunately, some of you are too lazy, or too egotistical or too n00bish to even think of doing a search to see if your current topic of interest has already been discussed. Others seem to feel, why should I learn anything on my own when I can have others do all the work for me? If those who fall into these categories had done a search, they would have found it's not me bad-mouthing Royal Purple but rather the maker themselves, who provide little useful info about its constituents, and their satellite websites that openly admit their oil is NOT a true synthetic. Now, if those of you who love Royal Purple don't mind paying a premium price for a non-synthetic oil, please continue to do so. However, if you plan to get on the Forum and tell us how superior it is to other oils, you ought to have some irrefutable data to back it up or you're just wasting our time. As we've already seen, unsupported dyno results don't constitute irrefutable data.

There's plenty of info about oils on our Forum. All you have to do, LOL, is do a search.

Happy Motoring!
            Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
            Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

lol
              sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
              92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Even the strap tension can affect dyno #s.
                  2005 Mazda 3

Comment

I'm telling you guys, Royal Purple is the ****!!!

with a bunch of JDm stickers, you can get the hp upto about 25...

Comment

so, who got owned? i don't need to do a search, i have experience. if you guys don't believe that bikes did gain rwhp from that, then oh well. i guess the numbers could be higher since bikes do rev much higher than most car/truck engines. Yet, even harleys gained a bit of power.

as for putting royal purple/synthetic oils in a protege, i would find it pointless, unless there actually is internal engine work done to it.

btw, LOL, i didn't watch that video.
                      Last edited by RX7_2ner; 12-25-2005, 07:41 PM.
                      89 Supra Turbo
                      87 RX-7 TII
                      91 dx
                      92 dx

Comment

what video are you talking about RX7?

Oh yea, before i forget...**appluades Goldstar** lol
                        If you're really anal when it comes to the contortion of the english language, or ne-sh*t you find hard to let pass, you should take "THE MANS" advice get a butt lube.....

Quote:Originally Posted by TheMAN "yeah.... butt lube so it feels better"

"I am not a theif, but, i will rob you of your dignity"

"All my life i been a devil's advocate, mad cats never even knew the devil even had a kid"

"fck me? well fck you too, ya mother - ya father- the hole u came through" D-block

"you can get a lot in this world if you put ya NINE to it, but, u'll 'preciate it a whole lot more if you put ya MIND TO IT" - Jayz

Comment

Originally posted by Silentbob343
                          Even the strap tension can affect dyno #s.
                          Yes, this is another example of what I'm talking about. For those of you who don't think dyno operator bias is a significant factor in producing inaccurate HP ratings (usually overstated), the SAE itself recognizes the problem and is currently doing something about it. SAE standard J1349 that specifies how SAE net BHP is to be calculated has recently been revised (March 2005) to tighten up testing proceedures and eliminate some of the arbitrary choices being made by testers that result in overstating HP. Additionally, the SAE has established a new voluntary standard, J2723, that requires independent testing overseen by a disinterested 3rd party and that will result in a new category, SAE 'Certified' net BHP.

For those of you interested in this area, check out:

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Originally posted by RX7_2ner
                            so, who got owned? i don't need to do a search, i have experience. if you guys don't believe that bikes did gain rwhp from that, then oh well. i guess the numbers could be higher since bikes do rev much higher than most car/truck engines. Yet, even harleys gained a bit of power.

as for putting royal purple/synthetic oils in a protege, i would find it pointless, unless there actually is internal engine work done to it.

btw, LOL, i didn't watch that video.
                            I would have predicted that you didn't watch that video.You say that you don't have to do a search because you have experience. Apparently, your experience is quite limited because there are many excellent reasons for using true synthetic oils in our stock engines that go well beyond simply providing a small power increase. Obviously, it's pointless to tell you again that there is a wealth of material on the Forum that covers this topic in depth, since you're not going to do a search anyway.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar
                              Obviously, it's pointless to tell you again that there is a wealth of material on the Forum that covers this topic in depth, since you're not going to do a search anyway.
                              At least we agree on something.
                              89 Supra Turbo
                              87 RX-7 TII
                              91 dx
                              92 dx

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar
                                Yes, this is another example of what I'm talking about. For those of you who don't think dyno operator bias is a significant factor in producing inaccurate HP ratings (usually overstated), the SAE itself recognizes the problem and is currently doing something about it. SAE standard J1349 that specifies how SAE net BHP is to be calculated has recently been revised (March 2005) to tighten up testing proceedures and eliminate some of the arbitrary choices being made by testers that result in overstating HP. Additionally, the SAE has established a new voluntary standard, J2723, that requires independent testing overseen by a disinterested 3rd party and that will result in a new category, SAE 'Certified' net BHP.

For those of you interested in this area, check out:

Happy Motoring!
                                This has nothing to do with how a Dynojet is operated, but engine brake dynometers. Manufacturers still measure engine horsepower, not wheel horsepower. Until wheel figures are measured with a standardized system, horsepower numbers are still inaccurate.

Comment

Working...
                                X