The battery light will not go out. NEED HELP ASAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The battery light will not go out. NEED HELP ASAP

So I'm about 6 days into this damn BP swap, and it been fighting me the whole way.

I got most of it figured out, but this charging issue.

What I swaped:
    1991 BP
    G series trans
    The full ECU harness

The motor runs great but the alternator is putting out about 16 volts and the idiot light is on.
    I have put in 3 different alternator (all of which I know worked)
    I have checked even fuse in the damn car with a voltmeter.
    I have tryed 2 different batterers and a jump box.
    I have gone thought to whole harness many times.

And still nothing.

Do you have any ideas?

I'm going to pick up a diagram from the stealership today and start from square one.

Thanks for lookin'
    Last edited by photoeye0; 01-10-2006, 01:12 PM.

94 Protege LX: HX-35, Megasquit, ect...
    98 Subaru Legacy GT-DD: 1 inch lift, and all the standard N/A stuff.

it just stay on the whole time?... probably a wire got taken off?.. or something? or the battery is not holding the charge its supposed to be holding? thats my guess.
    My Toys =D

Comment

I also forgot the most irritating thing, when you pull the 2 smaller wires out of the alternator the light goes out but it still puts out 16 volts.

Comment

probably plugged it in the wrong spots???? hehe
        My Toys =D

Comment

I already check all the plugs, I even brought my dad's protege in and cross check everything.

Comment

hmm only one solution that can definately fix it ......

remove the bulb.. hehehheheh
            My Toys =D

Comment

16volts does not seem normal...normal is 13.8 - 14volts...

i can't recal if the voltage reulator is built into the alt or not, but thats my guess if it's external...otherwise, it's got be a wiring issue.

I have the EFSM if ya need some diagrams.

Oh, you say full ECU harness...that also mean the BP DOHC ECU itself?

Comment

Yes the BP ECU as well.

I think the reulator is built in, so it looks like it might be in the charge curcet(sp)

The stealership was going the fax me some stuff but I never saw it.

I got one of my dad budies coming out to look at it, but if you have anything to help it would be much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by ScOrTGtC
                  hmm only one solution that can definately fix it ......

remove the bulb.. hehehheheh
                  Seems like that'll be the only solution to my seatbelt lights being on all the time :/

Comment

The Voltage regulator is built into the alternator. The wires go from that, to the fuse box(engine one) to the light. A small chance....but try replacing the fuse block/wiring. Or check the continuty between the voltage regulator harness and the fuse box, it's a white/green wire. That feeds power to the voltage regulator(to regulate volatage ) The power is fed through the fuel injection fuse. If there is no power going to the regulator, or if the connection is bad, I'm guessing that would cause the idiot light/16 volt problem.

The problem has to just be the volatge regulator wiring, nothing else would cause the problem. You said the donor was a rust bomb, corroded terminal maybe?

Me VBGarage HERE

"90% of young people that get into car accidents say "OH ****". The other 10% are from Wisconsin and say "Hold my beer and watch this!".

Comment

the wires going under the int to the fuse box can rub thru to copper, my donor harness did that
                      "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                      -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                      *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                      172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                      New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Well we got figured out at about 2:30 last night. In all the commotion I forgot/didn't know to change the harness the runs behind the motor (the starter, oil pressure sender, and the alternator controls)

But the BP runs great, except the exhaust need to be redone and we broke the solenoid that controls the VICS. I'll be putting some pix up later on today or tomorrow. If your interested

Thanks for all the help and thanks again thegreatelbobo

Comment

Working...
                        X