Steering Rack mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Rack mod?

I guess anyone can help me answer this, but I saw it on mike moss's vGarage. The MX-3 steering rack, how does it differ from the LX steering rack?
    And does it fit to my chassis, 91 BG hatch? Thanx.

Should swap right over. It has a much better turning ratio. I forget the numbers, but after driving my GS around I say doooo it. The steering is much more responsive.
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

it has a quicker lock- to lock ratio then the protege/323 rack. yes it bolts right in.
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

man can you get to that easily with a motor in the car? I know that replacing the front sway bar would suck based on it's location I can't imagine the rack being easy.

I would love to get the ZX2 25mm front sway bar installed, but I don't see any easy way to do it.
        2005 Mazda 3

Comment

Right from my vbGarage:
          MX-3 steering rack (15:1 ratio; 2.7 turns lock-to-lock)
          The 90-94 Protegé power steering rack is 3.0 turns lock-to-lock. I haven't been able to find data on the ratio though.

This isn't something I'd like to change with the motor in the car, but I'm sure it can be done. Easiest way would probably be to drop the front subframe straight out the bottom.
          My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
          - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

agreed. I do suggest changing the swaybar while your doing the steering rack, A double upgrade

Drop the subframe it, will make your life much easier. i reccomend removing the LCA's from the subframe to lighten the wieght burden when removing it
            undo the outer tie rod ends from the hub & undo the LCA's then undo the steering rack at the base then undo the subframe.

I should make a how to wheni install my steering rack.
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

OK, so in order to replace my steering rack with one from an MX-3, I will have to drop my subframe?
              And my 323 doesn't have power steering, will the MX-3 have it, thus requiring me to install the pump, etc., or can I install the rack without the pump?

How hard is it to replace the steering rack?

Comment

I thought it was higher than 3, something like 3.4 on the protege.
                The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

the MX3 rack is PS yes, but you don't have to use it you can loop the lines
                  & run it as a manual.

Comment

Is there any trick to looping the lines? I just took my p/s pump off and hooked the hose back to the reservoir. Will that work?
                    Back in BG business.

Comment

two ways to do it, loop the lines or this way.
                      Originally posted by bmikedaman
                      Are you guys using power racks converted? I was reading up on the RX7 boards and what they're doing is pulling the racks apart and removing the plungers that the ps fluid pushes and just plugging the thing, the fluid and pistons and crap make the car alot harder to turn without the assist than a standard manual rack. Also alot of them are welding up the input to the rack to take some of the slop out.........You might look into getting a spare rack and seeing if you can get it apart to remove the power pieces, the rx7 guys say its much easier to steer without the fluid and pistons in the rack.

Flyin' Miata is the world leader in Miata performance and well-engineered, proven Miata MX5 components. We offer parts for a full range of Mazda Miata, MX5 and Eunos Roadsters vehicles.
                      2005 Mazda 3

Comment

Originally posted by Silentbob343
                        Thanks for the links.
                        Back in BG business.

Comment

OK, sorry if I'm not as versed on PS racks as you guys, but I have another question:
                          Why do drivers, who's cars have plenty of engine power, remove the power steering from their rack? I can understand for weak engines like the B6, but on a Miata/RX-7 engine? All that work just to save weight?

Comment

Ultimately, I want power steering and cruise control and A/C on my 323. When I install A/C is when I will have to swap my engine. BUT since I rebuilt the entire cylinder head, I'm gonna get my money's worth out of it.

Comment

trying to reduce drive train losses. Power is lost turning that extra pulley. And the slight weight gain is at the front nose of the car.
                              The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Working...
                              X