Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil recomendations in Europe and Asia and Etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil recomendations in Europe and Asia and Etc.

Are oil recomendations the same in the outside of the US , maybe not that related but i have noticed that for the Hyundai accent (us version owners manual)the oil recomendation in the usa is 10w30 for warm wheather and 5w30 for cold wheather but in the latin american version it says the same plus 10-40 and and 20w50 to and even 20w60 to for warm . is the same for the protege . maybe this is dueto the fuel and emisions regulations or is the Xw30 oil the best overall in protection. anybody outside can enlight me please.

Is the best 5w30 or is there really a drawback like oil thining at high heat pressure.

The variation in recommended SAE viscosity grades you state is due primarily to mean temperature differences in the different geographical regions. Many US and Canadian car manufacturers specify 10W-30 for moderate and hot temperatures and 5W-30 for the winter months. Latin American countries tend to have higher mean temperatures (after all, the equator passes through South America) and consequently 10W-40 and 20W-50 oils may be recommended to avoid viscosity breakdown at these elevated temperatures.

The best SAE viscosity range to use is that recommended by the manufacturer of the car for the particular geographic region in which the car will be used. In most parts of North America, 10W-30 oils have long been the most recommended grade but in deference to attempts to achieve better fuel economy, many manufacturers of newer cars now recommend 5W-30 or even, in the case of synthetic oils, 0W-30.

In general, true synthetic oils permit both a more extended viscosity range and exhibit less thinning at high temperatures and thickening at low temperatures than is possible with mineral oils. For example, a 5W-30 or 0W-30 synthetic oil may be suitable for both summer and winter use in the US and Canada while a 10W-40 may be fine for all around use in Latin America.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

I live in guatemala Central america near the ecuator and i have always used 10w30 with no problems but i might try 10w40 for the next time to try and cut a little engine noise (especially HLA´s noise) but 20w50 sounds to thick for me especially at startup
      So do you guys think i will work ? something like Motul Tecnosynthesenatialñjfk wathever 10w40 5K OCI

people here only use 20w50 so 10weights and 5W are not readely avalible they alway tell me that im going to mess my engine will 10W

for me your best choice would be 5W40 synthetic (money)
      BHP=bull**** horsepower
      WHP=woop-ass horsepower

Come to the DarkSide ,Whe have Cookies!

Ok, so you wanna make your lightsabers. Yeehaw. Think about this though, when you make them...how are they going to be effective weapons? They are a melee weapon, requiring close range combat right? Well, say I've got a gun and I pop a cap in your ass way outside of the reach of your lightsaber blade....fat lot of good that did ya!

Comment

I was wondering where you are located. Obviously, living in Guatemala, you need an oil towards the high end of the viscosity range. In terms of what SAE grade to use, the manufacturer's recommendation is a good starting point. Also, I'm curious as to what brands of synthetic oils are available to you? Since tropical heat is hard on engines, I would definitely recommend a true synthetic oil because of its superior ability to resist viscosity breakdown at high temperatures compared with mineral oil. If using a synthetic, I would think a 10W-40 would be ideal, perhaps even a 5W-40 if its a very high quality ester-based oil. I think a 20W-50 weight oil would be somewhat too thick for optimal lubrication, even in your location, particularly at start-up as you stated.

I believe you said Motul oil is available in your area and, although they make two Polyol ester based types, I would avoid their Technosynthese since that is a blended mineral/synthetic oil.

If I knew more about the oils actually available to you, I might be able to make a better recommendation. Even though true synthetic oils are considerably more expensive than mineral-based types, the fact that you can utilize extended oil change intervals at least partially offsets their greater cost.

Happy Motoring!
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

at least here i can get Mobil1, Motul (if i look around a lot) , chevron synthetic , valvoline quaker and castrol . i might go with chevron 5w40 next OCI due to price but synthetic is really expensive here and there has never been a big oil sale rebate never! it sucks big time

Comment

So what does mazda recomends for the familia or GTX in europe , Australia or japan , anybody whit an user manual chart would be great !
            im been tempted to use 10w40 but reading in BITOG it has over 100cst on cold (40') compared to 70cts on 10w30 so i gain more protection and quietnees but i lose protection on cold startup

So members in europe or asia or OZ , if you were so kind i would apreciate it
            BHP=bull**** horsepower
            WHP=woop-ass horsepower

Ok, so you wanna make your lightsabers. Yeehaw. Think about this though, when you make them...how are they going to be effective weapons? They are a melee weapon, requiring close range combat right? Well, say I've got a gun and I pop a cap in your ass way outside of the reach of your lightsaber blade....fat lot of good that did ya!

Comment

I'd be very interested in that data myself. I think TheMAN might have access to much of that information as he's very knowledgeable about foreign automotive specifications and service requirements.

BTW, for those of you not familiar with the term, cTs, it refers to centistoke. As most of you know, viscosity refers to a lubricant's resistance to flow at a specific temperature. Kinematic viscosity is measured using a viscometer. The sample is placed in a "U" shaped calibrated glass tube which is submerged in a constant temperature bath. When engine oil is being tested, the temperature is raised to 100 deg C and the oil is allowed to flow via gravity down the tube and up the other side. The number of seconds the oil takes to flow through the calibrated region is measured. The viscosity in centistokes (cSt) is the flow time, in seconds, multiplied by the tube factor. Based on this measurement, the SAE classifies the viscosity grade for that oil.

References:

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Hm... ok.. im from Europe

Dont know much about oil... but recommended oil here is 10w40 for B6, as it is an older engine, and 5w30 for ZM... we dont even have 20w50 here...

thats all i know
                One day you are born,
                The next big milestone
                you discover go zoom-zoom
                you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

This car refuses to die! By TheMAN

Comment

the mistery continues .
                  BHP=bull**** horsepower
                  WHP=woop-ass horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaMadness
                    Hm... ok.. im from Europe

Dont know much about oil... but recommended oil here is 10w40 for B6, as it is an older engine, and 5w30 for ZM... we dont even have 20w50 here...

thats all i know
                    Sorry MazdaMadness. I knew that you were one of our European members and I should have remembered that and listed you as a possible source for information in the first place. Thanks for your input.

Another European member is TStarGermany. He'll probably be able to provide some useful info here, also.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Working...
                    X