93 Protege just wont start..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

93 Protege just wont start..

Ive been searching and searching, but Im not coming up with any solutions.

A friend of the family has a 93 Protege that they need to get up and running. The car drove fine for the first couple weeks they had it, and then it started to randomly die on them, now it wont start at all.

They did a complete tune up on the car, and replaced the fuel pump and all the filters. According to them the car has spark, but it just wont turn over.

Ive been reading a lot of posts and it seems that the PCM, fuel injectors, and Crank angle sensor come up alot in these "my car wont start" posts. I asked if he had checked the injectors and he said he had, but Im not too sure, so I havent ruled that out just yet. Its a DOHC motor (1.8l?) , Do these motors have main fuel relay problems like the honda/Acura cars? how can you test the PCM, injectors and Crank angle sensor?

Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    Robert

Originally posted by unc25
    Ive been searching and searching, but Im not coming up with any solutions.

A friend of the family has a 93 Protege that they need to get up and running. The car drove fine for the first couple weeks they had it, and then it started to randomly die on them, now it wont start at all.

They did a complete tune up on the car, and replaced the fuel pump and all the filters. According to them the car has spark, but it just wont turn over.

Ive been reading a lot of posts and it seems that the PCM, fuel injectors, and Crank angle sensor come up alot in these "my car wont start" posts. I asked if he had checked the injectors and he said he had, but Im not too sure, so I havent ruled that out just yet. Its a DOHC motor (1.8l?) , Do these motors have main fuel relay problems like the honda/Acura cars? how can you test the PCM, injectors and Crank angle sensor?

Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    Robert
    Welcome to Club Protege Robert.

First of all, there is no crank sensor on a BP(DOCH) engine.

I would check the facts:

-Fuel
    -Air
    -Compression
    -Timing
    -Spark

Comment

Ok so the DOHC is the BP motor.....I got ya.

I havent had a chance to work on the car myself, but her dad swears they have spark.

He said the timing marks on the Cam gears point TDC, but he cant see the crank mark right now.

I didnt ask about compression, but I assumed he had already checked it. Another thing that should be checked...thanks.

Anyone else?

Comment

Ok so the DOHC is the BP motor.....I got ya.

I havent had a chance to work on the car myself, but her dad swears they have spark.

He said the timing marks on the Cam gears point TDC, but he cant see the crank mark right now.

I didnt ask about compression, but I assumed he had already checked it. Another thing that should be checked...thanks.

Anyone else?
        The timing mark on the crank pulley can be difficult to see. If the timing is close, it should start, and then checked with a timing light while it is running.

Comment

I would check to make sure the Air flow sensor and intake tube are ok.

Comment

Im going over there today to check the car out. I'll let you guys know.

Also what about a FSM for the car? Only one I can find online is for the newer protege.

Thanks

Comment

check your distributor. there is a connection within the distributor that creates the spark and in turn makes the engine turn over. honda has had problems with this. i don't know if i said it right but i hope you get the idea.

Comment

Im going over there today to check the car out. I'll let you guys know.

Also what about a FSM for the car? Only one I can find online is for the newer protege.

Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the link. we looked at the car today and everything seems to be ok except I dont hear the fuel pump at all, we are getting spark so we know thats good. I swear its a fuel problem. Is there a fuse or relay for the fuel pump that I culd check?

Comment

Thanks for the link. we looked at the car today and everything seems to be ok except I dont hear the fuel pump at all, we are getting spark so we know thats good. I swear its a fuel problem. Is there a fuse or relay for the fuel pump that I culd check?
                    Yes, there is an "injection" relay under the hood. Check to see if the car is getting fuel, if it isn't, check to see if there is voltage at the pump.

Comment

Working...
                    X