newbie needs help with no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie needs help with no start

First off I'd like to say hi as i am new to the forum. I just purchased a 92 mazda protege DOHC. I seem to have a problem with it stalling and then i am unable to start it for about a half an hour (it will turn over but not start). It will start to run poorly on acceleration and then stall. The check engine light comes on sporatically. Now I let it sit over night and it won't start back. If i try starting it for a while i can smell gas.

The distributor, coil, mass air flow sensor, fuel filter, coolant temp sensor, tuneup (plugs, wires, cap and rotor), and fuel system cleaner have all been done or replaced on this vehicle recently. What could be the problem? Thank you very much for your help
    -Anders

If the car sat around for a long time without turning on, the fuel pump could have gone bad and will need to be replaced. If it didn't sit around for a year, or so, it's something else.

Comment

could it be the coil going bad. cause ive seen them go bad to where you first start it it runs fine and then after it warms up it dont supply the proper ammount of spark or if at all
      stock blaze red 1992 Mazda Protege DX 5 Speed

Comment

ok what would be the best way to check if the fuel pump is working? i will check for a spark today.

Comment

Originally posted by 92mprotege
          ok what would be the best way to check if the fuel pump is working? i will check for a spark today.
          I only know how to check if it's not working at all. I take off the back seat and hear for it sounding when I turn the key to the accessories position without turning on the car. Actually, you can hear it with the seat on but it's easier. However, if it's turning on but functioning too poorly to turn the car on, you will neet to use a tester. For that, do a search of this site. The info has been provided by others or you can wait if one of them answers here or links you to those threads. To remove the pump, you take off the rear seat and it's right under that piece of metal covering.

Comment

First off I'd like to say hi as i am new to the forum. I just purchased a 92 mazda protege DOHC. I seem to have a problem with it stalling and then i am unable to start it for about a half an hour (it will turn over but not start). It will start to run poorly on acceleration and then stall. The check engine light comes on sporatically. Now I let it sit over night and it won't start back. If i try starting it for a while i can smell gas.

The distributor, coil, mass air flow sensor, fuel filter, coolant temp sensor, tuneup (plugs, wires, cap and rotor), and fuel system cleaner have all been done or replaced on this vehicle recently. What could be the problem? Thank you very much for your help
            -Anders
            Welcome to Club Protege.

I'd start by figuring out what the check engine light is all about, and go from there.

1) Jump the TEN and GND terminals at the DIAGNOSTIC test connector.

2) Put tranny in neutral, turn off all accessories, turn the ignition "ON" but don't start.

3) The check engine light should blink the code.
            a)first digit = long intervals
            b)second digit = short intervals

TROUBLE CODE CIRCUIT/SYSTEM
            02 Distributor Ne-signal
            03 Distributor G-signal
            08 Airflow sensor
            09 Coolant temp. sensor
            10 Intake air temp. sensor
            12 TPS
            14 BPS
            15 O2 sensor
            17 O2 sensor
            25 FPR solenoid valve
            26 Solenoid valve (purge control)
            34 IAC valve
            41 Solenoid valve (VICS)

Comment

I will try the diagnostic thing. i'm at work right now and my dad was able to get it started by giving it full throttle and then pumping the gas, it then idled fine. It is getting spark to teh distributor so i guess will check to see if it is getting spark to the plugs when i get home

Comment

well i did the diagnostic and it flashed nine times quickly so that is the coolant temp sensor. Oreilly auto parts gave me the wrong one, everyone else also seems to only carry the two prong coolant temp sensor but mine is a single prong does anybody have part numbers or something for this? thanks

Comment

also make sure that the fuel pressure regulator is not bad. I had the exact same problem and that made it all better. Always remember to check every possible part that can get messed up while the card is sitting check fuel and sparks. Then go from there.

Comment

ok lol, i took off the wrong temp sensor. i replaced the correct one (the actual coolant temp sensor) lol and it runs perfect. thank you everyone for your help!

Comment

ok lol, i took off the wrong temp sensor. i replaced the correct one (the actual coolant temp sensor) lol and it runs perfect. thank you everyone for your help!
                      Did you discover the problem by just looking or you got a code for that sensor?

Comment

i got the code for the sensor by jumping the diagnostic box

Comment

Thanks, that's how we like threads to end. This thread is done.

Comment

Thats what I like to hear. A problem dealt with by the book.
                            c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

No problem.

Glad to hear you fixed it!

Comment

Working...
                              X