1993 Protege DX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 Protege DX

Hello everyone. I just found this site not too long ago and decided to join. Right now, I have a 1993 Protege DX, automatic. Im sorta wondering what kind of possibilites there are for this car. Im planning on buying an Evo soon, so the Mazda will be free for modification. I was wondering what it takes to put a turbo motor in it, and if an AWD conversion is possible. Thanks.

Welcome! And yes you can turbo it and also go AWD. BUT since you have a DX your best bet would to get a BP (LX model) motor and then turbo that along with a 5 speed conversion as the auto will more then likely take a poop from all the new found power. And as far as AWD goes theres ALOT more work to make that possible since alot of the parts are hard to find along with the undercarriage being different and what not!
    **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
    95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Originally posted by emd645e3
      Hello everyone. I just found this site not too long ago and decided to join. Right now, I have a 1993 Protege DX, automatic. Im sorta wondering what kind of possibilites there are for this car. Im planning on buying an Evo soon, so the Mazda will be free for modification. I was wondering what it takes to put a turbo motor in it, and if an AWD conversion is possible. Thanks.
      Welcome to Club Protege.

You can either swap the BP engine, which is the DOHC engine found in the Protege LX, and turbo that, or just swap the BP-T engine in.

If you want an AWD, your best bet would be to find a 4WD Protege(rare in the U.S. and Canada), and build that chassis up. The USDM 4WD Protege drive train is weak, and it came with the same B8(SOHC) engine that your car has, so you'd want to swap all of that out.

Comment

Well, since the AWD conversion seems kinda involved, I think I'll look into just the 5 speed swap and a turbo motor. What kind of performance can be gotten from the BP-T? The Protege is a fairly light car, correct? So, it doesn't take much.

Comment

Well, since the AWD conversion seems kinda involved, I think I'll look into just the 5 speed swap and a turbo motor. What kind of performance can be gotten from the BP-T? The Protege is a fairly light car, correct? So, it doesn't take much.
          Check out this site for a little more information/specs on the BP-T: http://www.protegefaq.net/

The first gen Protege weighs about 2400-2500 lbs.

Comment

Yea, I come from the world of DSM, so my eclipse weighs like 3200 or so pounds. Thats a decent difference though. I will say one thing about my Protege, it will not die. I put that poor little car through a lot, and she still starts right up. WAY WAY more reliable than any DSM. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Yea, I come from the world of DSM, so my eclipse weighs like 3200 or so pounds. Thats a decent difference though. I will say one thing about my Protege, it will not die. I put that poor little car through a lot, and she still starts right up. WAY WAY more reliable than any DSM. Thanks for the link.
              No problem.

Proteges are known for their reliability, whether it have the B8 or BP.

Comment

A friend of mine has an MX3 with the 1.8 V6. Would that motor and trans swap into my car fairly easily? Its a stick too, so if it was possible, I guess I could use the master cylinder and all too? His car is pretty well bashed up, and I could probably buy it off him cheap. The only real problem is that it only runs on 5 cylinders......

Comment

Grab everything but the engine (that 1.8 is a sickly weak thing) from that MX3, and then get the 2.5l (KLDE) version of that motor out of a MX6 or Probe GT.
                  Everything would include the engine wire harness, all of the motor mounts, the tranny, tranny brace, and some other stuff. Do a search on the V6 swap there's a few threads floating around on here about it. Also check with jitb37 he used to have a KLDE swapped pro.
                  If you wanted to import a jdm v6 motor you can get the KLZE which is 200hp version of the 2.5l.
                  Last edited by protégébob; 09-25-2006, 10:09 PM.

93' 5spd DX
                  R.I.P

Comment

Just curious, but doing the turbo and converting to 5-speed... how much does all that approximately cost?

Comment

Originally posted by Mercerius
                      Just curious, but doing the turbo and converting to 5-speed... how much does all that approximately cost?
                      That's a pretty vauge question. The price range could really vary. It depends on what you do and where you get it from.

Comment

Originally posted by Jho
                        That's a pretty vauge question. The price range could really vary. It depends on what you do and where you get it from.
                        AND if you do it yourself and/or not have to pay labor!
                        **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
                        95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Welcome to the club !
                          '03 Protege5 sunlight silver
                          '07 Mazdaspeed3 black mica

Comment

Working...
                          X