Bought a donor car yesterday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a donor car yesterday!

Found a great 91 LX for $300! It runs, but smokes like crazy. The guy said it needs new valve seals &/or guides. Sounds about right. I plan on overhauling it anyway, so I am not too worried about it. I am glad it runs. I guess that means there isn't anything catastrophically wrong with it. At least it has all the parts necessary to make it run. Can't wait to tear into it and get it running right so I can either swap the engine and tranny into my DX or get this one painted. Anyway, should be a fun project!

Pics?
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

lets see some pics

Comment

Originally posted by me109 View Post
        Pics?
        I'll take some pics tonight, but I warn you - it is UGLY!!! I'll take some pics of my DX too. It's in good shape, but has the typical quantity of dings for a car of its age.

Comment

nice score! gonna upgrade to LX brakes too?

JACK
          -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
            nice score! gonna upgrade to LX brakes too?

JACK
            I'm kinda on the fence about whether I want to swap all the stuff over or keep the LX in tact and get it painted. If I do the swap, I'll swap the brakes too. I like the sunroof and the power stuff (it all works too!), so that has some influence on my decision.

Comment

As promised (a while back)

Here are some pics of the well used '91 LX I bought. Thought I would take some pics before I take it all apart. The "Before" as in "Before and After":
              Attached Files

Comment

wow, that lx is missing alot of finish work. nothing like stealing the goods
                No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

I say keep the lx and fix it up. If you don't I'll take the shell haha. I want a sunroof again. Good luck
                  1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                  1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                  2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                  2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                  .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

i say swap into dx and sell shell to turpro
                    sigpicSLICK PROTEGE

Comment

Originally posted by SLICK92PROTEGE View Post
                      i say swap into dx and sell shell to turpro
                      I like the sunroof and the power windows, etc. I plan on keeping the car. I am going to try the $50 paint job (roll on thinned out Rustoleum, lots of coats and lots of wet sanding and buffing - the process is all over the web, just Google "$50 paint job"). I'm not trying to make a show car out of it, just a fun car for getting around town and the occasional trip. I'll be making lots of posts of the engine work and the paint and general fix up.

Comment

Originally posted by cat34evr View Post
                        I like the sunroof and the power windows, etc. I plan on keeping the car. I am going to try the $50 paint job (roll on thinned out Rustoleum, lots of coats and lots of wet sanding and buffing - the process is all over the web, just Google "$50 paint job"). I'm not trying to make a show car out of it, just a fun car for getting around town and the occasional trip. I'll be making lots of posts of the engine work and the paint and general fix up.
                        For some reasom Mazda had a big problem with white paint, you see lots of white BGs like that.

You are gonna need to strip that otherwise the new paint will pull off what is left of the old stuff. When I put the spoiler on our 323 I bought a white tailgate so I wouldn't screw up the origional if anything went wrong.

Long story short it had a couple of spots where the paint had flaked, I couldn't even featheredge it. The paint just kept peeling as I sanded, I finished up stripping the whole tailgate.

Pat.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sube View Post
                          For some reasom Mazda had a big problem with white paint, you see lots of white BGs like that.

You are gonna need to strip that otherwise the new paint will pull off what is left of the old stuff. When I put the spoiler on our 323 I bought a white tailgate so I wouldn't screw up the origional if anything went wrong.

Long story short it had a couple of spots where the paint had flaked, I couldn't even featheredge it. The paint just kept peeling as I sanded, I finished up stripping the whole tailgate.

Pat.
                          I see tons of white cars in general with peeling paint. My six year old says they are the brothers or sisters of my Pro. Must have been some bad white paint going around. Either that or white is just a tough color to get to stick and stay. Maybe the pigments they use? Who knows, but it's gonna be black!

Took the hood, front fenders and front bumper off. Also took the battery and battery box, etc out. Probably going to relo the battery to the trunk. Will post pics later.

Comment

Thats what i am doing but in a 323 I bought a 92 LX ATX for about $50 and i am using almost everything on the 323 The only regret is mine is a auto but i can hold off for the G series tranny.
                            I Do not own a Mazda anymore!

Comment

Working...
                            X