Buying another 1st gen MP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying another 1st gen MP

Ok, so I've complained about my dumb Acura Integra long enough, and had too many break downs, and now it's at the end of it's life.

After doing some searching, I've found what looks to be a 94 LX Pro for sale in Hawaii.

Im just going by the rims shown in the pic, but I believe they are exclusive to the LX model:

Correct me if Im wrong. Usually I identify them buy the twin exhaust tips, but It's hard to see them in the photo.

I'll be test driving the ride next week and takin it to a mechanic to have it looked at.
    But for advice, what kind of problems should I look out for that are common for MP's? I know when I used to own one, i had no problems except a broken radiator fan, no AC, and busted radio. All minor problems.
    As far as I know, the 1st gens are robust little clunkers that give a fairly reliable ride.
    I mainly ask this since the asking price is $600. They are moving off island, and if they don't know much about the car, this may not be surprising, but still....under $1000 makes me feel like there might be something wrong with it.....

Things I'll already look for:

Worn Tires/Brake Pads
    Fluid levels/color of oil
    oil leaks
    Starting motor with Radiator cap off/check for blown head gasket
    Smoke in exhaust
    1992 Mazda Protege DX Manual - 5/30/2006 R.I.P
    1992 Mazda Protege LX former Manual - 2/2/2010 Parts Donor
    1994 Mazda Protege LX Manual swap Daily Driver W.I.P.

That's a lx. You can tell by the rims but more so by the sunroof. For under a grand its worth it. Get it and do all the normal maintainance and then check for oil leaks. Ditributor oring tends to be leaky. Change the oil in the motor and tranni. It looks to be in good shape. Good luck and welcome back.
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

sweet, Ive been searching for a LX since I got to hawaii, Manual shift to boot.
      Not to mention that Since I left texas and that one day me, D323 (Don), and some others totally raped the junkyards, I've been hauling around an exhaust side camshaft, RX-7 non turbo VAF, and brand new LX clutch and pressure plate, and a spare halfshaft, starter, and harness....
      If I can buy this before anyone else, I'll have to look up the Camshaft swapping, and VAF tuning once again (and clean the HLA's and IAC while im at it.)
      Last edited by AtmaEdge; 09-17-2007, 06:15 AM.

Comment

You have a spare harness you say? interested in selling it?

Comment

So, Actually, because of my excitement, I went and test drove the car today. I noticed the following:
          -The gear shifter is REALLY loose, I'll probably have to tighten the shifter nut...possible busted bushing?
          -Half the key was broken off into the ignition...so you have to start the car with the key stem...lol.
          -some dings on the front fender and trunk (looks like high vehicle rear ended it a little)

Now for the most major concerns...
          -Said that the radiator "justed busted" cracking the radiator at one point, causing the car to over heat (although Im unsure for how long) so they replaced it with a brand new radiator, claims no overheating problems since then.
          -Oil leakage around the Valve Cover, possible valve cover gasket needs replacing.
          -The engine bay is dirty as hell. It looks like someone flung mud inside the bay. Owner claims its probably from when the radiator sprayed fluid from when it cracked.
          -Distributor O ring leaking

When I drove it, it felt fine, idled smooth, drove cherry (although the loose gear shifter bothered me a bit), and isn't a magnet for car theft.

HOPEFULLY these are the only problems....my biggest concern is when he told me it overheated....which is probably my guess for the oil leaking around the head (though im unsure), and maybe even in the head gasket and piston rings like my Acura Integra....which would be my worst nightmare as that is the reason i got rid of it.

In any case, I'll have to do that Radiator cap off + start up test to see for exhaust leakage into the coolant system.
          I've never change a Valve Cover Gasket, so i hope it's not either difficult or expensive, and the same for the O ring.
          I guess i could always spray down the engine bay for cleanliness, change the oil, tranny, spark plugs, wires, disty cap and rotor, because they all need it visibly (dirty and crusty rubber and plastic).

But hey, for $600 Im not expecting a perfect ride. I just hope the head gasket and piston rings are fine.

Any other thoughts?

SlowProtege: Ehm....sure I guess, although Im not sure if it works or not, So I'll make a good deal with you. If you'd like ill take some pics before you shell out bucks for it.
          Last edited by AtmaEdge; 09-18-2007, 12:47 AM.

Comment

changing valve cover and disty o-ring are really easy, I wouldn't stress that at all. cheap too. If it ran and idled smooth, exhaust wasn't discolored at the tail, I'd say the motor survived the overheat.

I'd check around the struts and such for offroad wear, as mud doesn't just fling itself from a radiator, I had to work HARD to get my engine bay coated in mud.

The shifter is an easy fix, it happens often, just falls out and hits the exhaust pipe. search the forums, somewhere there's a good writeup about fixing that cheaply.
            Other than that, it sounds like its pretty solid.
            No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

I'd check around the struts and such for offroad wear, as mud doesn't just fling itself from a radiator, I had to work HARD to get my engine bay coated in mud.
              Nahh, I don't think it went off road....my best bet is that they never properly cleaned the engine after the radiator core burst, and then dirt and particulate just coated the sticking left overs of radiator fluid. Maybe mud was a bad comparison....more like....when you spill juice and don't clean it up and **** sticks to it.

But anyways, I've already made him an offer, and beat out the competitors eBay style, so I'll be takin it home Friday night....hopefully this weekend I can pick up replacement gaskets and fix them before monday.

Comment

Like craig(almighty) said, the disty oring and valve cover are about 15min jobs. I've overheated my 1st protege's car 1 time where I pulled over and discovered water draining out where my water pump is. Filled the rad up and took the 40 min trip home. Replaced the water pump and all cooling hoses and gaskets and timing belt and it was golden. Not saying that everyone has had the same luck. Then a buddy bought the engine,tranni,ect and boosted the piss out of it and ran 13.1s on the 1/4. So if its running good and there's no oil in the water or water in the oil then I don't see it as a problem. With any car with those miles you're going to have leaks. Seals get old ya know . Well good luck on your purchace. Sounds like you got a good deal.
                1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Working...
                X