Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap Heater Core Repair Options Paleeze!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap Heater Core Repair Options Paleeze!!

On my LX the heater slowly went to ****. What is the cheapest way to make it work again. I read this post:
    Originally posted by johniec View Post
    Check your heater core. I would suspect ( as mine was) it is not flowing very well. I ended up getting some radiator flush, ran that in there for about a day and went back and back flushed the heater core with my garden hose. Heat works great now!
    What have you guys done to fix this on the cheap. I can pull the dash but I rather not.

If you're running a turbo car then don't use any stopleak stuff. Otherwise most autoparts stores sell crap that will plug small leaks. It's really not a bad job to pull the dash (unless you have a rollcage like me... Uuuugh......).

Comment

Originally posted by teknotexan View Post
      On my LX the heater slowly went to ****. What is the cheapest way to make it work again. I read this post:

What have you guys done to fix this on the cheap. I can pull the dash but I rather not.
      if its not leaking and is just sucking at being a heater, try unplugging the heator core hoses and adapting a garden hose to one end and try to blow out any junk in it
      "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
      -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
      *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
      172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
      New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Hey, I am looking to replace my expansion valve for the air conditioning. I am not sure where it is under the dashboard, but it should be in the heater core or next to it. I would greatly apresiate it if some one could post picture of where the heater core is and how hard it id to get to it.

Thanks

Comment

You could probably replace the heater core in a weekend... with breaks and leaving time to watch a football game. It's not THAT bad.

edit: In fact, you could do it in a a couple of hours if you dedicate yourself and have any experience pulling dash dash panels in these things
          Current Cars
          2003 Nissan 350z. Touring Edition, Pike's Peak White and dark tint. Some audio work. Twin turbo swap and more audio work over the winter. Wheels and springs this winter.

Past Mazdas
          1994 Mazda Protege DX. DOHC swap in progress. Sold due to a move
          1992 Mazda Protege DX. BPT (GT-X) swap w. Haltech & MSD. Sold before it saw the road
          1996 Ford Probe GT. Flawless. 5-speed. Kept stock. Sold for an LS1

Comment

we usually use a blow gun on low pressure to see if the heater core is blocked up :dunno:
            sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
            92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

i just took mines out the other day and just flushe dit out with hot water from my sink..just put it right on the faucet and then filled it with degreaser let it sit then rinse it out again until clear water came out, and it works great now. Heater cores arent that much just like 60 bucks but the work is where it becomes a project, lol.
              http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...e-eda6ab70c99a

Looking for local enthusiast's to help me out, with some Mazda mods, im new to the mazda scene and im not used to it, Im an ex-honda guy! lol My car needs some tunning and checkup.

Comment

Originally posted by MD323 View Post
                if its not leaking and is just sucking at being a heater, try unplugging the heator core hoses and adapting a garden hose to one end and try to blow out any junk in it
                Yeah but remember you have to know which direction the water is going. That way you put the hose pressure where the water normally comes out so you push trapped junk back out. Putting it in the inlet side instead of the outlet is just packing the gunk & junk in more wherever it's currently trapped.

Comment

i'm thinking of doing this.. in my car i literally have to have my hand over the vent to get any heat whatsoever and it isn't even considered heat.

So what hose is the in and which is the out? Do you put the garden hose on the core inlet itself?
                  Daily: '03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
                  Beater/Rally: '93 Protege GT

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie mack View Post
                    i'm thinking of doing this.. in my car i literally have to have my hand over the vent to get any heat whatsoever and it isn't even considered heat.

So what hose is the in and which is the out? Do you put the garden hose on the core inlet itself?
                    You will have to disconnect both hoses anyway. Have someone turn the car on real quick so you can see which hose puts out water. Then you will know which one is the inlet at the heater core. There's another way of doing this and makes the hose connecting extra easy.

Comment

can any body past a picture of a heater core in the protege, therefore I would have rough idea of how much work is required.

Comment

The heater core isn't the biggest problem. The problem is that you have to completely remove your whole dash in order to get access to it and to take it out. Just go to ebay and search for protege heater core and you can see what one looks like.

Comment

I going to do the water hose trick. Find which is which and then flush it out.
                          As always, a wealth of information. Thanks All!!

Comment

The following doesn't help in clogged cases like yours but is good info to have:

For flushing out systems so that they don't clog as easily, there's this kit for about $5 at the auto parts store where you cut the hose going into the heater core inlet pipe. You put the plastic tube in the kit between the cut hose section and clamp each end onto the hose. It has an opening at the top of the tube that you remove a cap from. There you can twist on a standard hose and flush out the system really well. I imagine you can find which hose is the outlet pipe and use this on it but I think the outlet is the farther one in and, therefore, making the installation of the plastic tube more difficult. If you attempt using this to try to unclog your heater core, remember, you still have to unplug the other hose so the gunk can fall to the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by mannydingo View Post
                              The following doesn't help in clogged cases like yours but is good info to have:

For flushing out systems so that they don't clog as easily, there's this kit for about $5 at the auto parts store where you cut the hose going into the heater core inlet pipe. You put the plastic tube in the kit between the cut hose section and clamp each end onto the hose. It has an opening at the top of the tube that you remove a cap from. There you can twist on a standard hose and flush out the system really well. I imagine you can find which hose is the outlet pipe and use this on it but I think the outlet is the farther one in and, therefore, making the installation of the plastic tube more difficult. If you attempt using this to try to unclog your heater core, remember, you still have to unplug the other hose so the gunk can fall to the floor.
                              My 89 Tracer (BF/323) had this thing on it and i always wondered what it was! Wonder why it was there in the 1st place since the rad was full of rust and crap anyways so i doubt anybody really flushed it, etc lol
                              **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
                              95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Working...
                              X