Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car buying question...

wanted to run a few by the experts.

Found a protege near me to replace my 283k mile protege.

It is a 1993 5spd SOHC 165k miles. My question is...

I got into the car to test drive it, great condition. Just the usual little rust here and there, as well as the new valve cover gasket needed. I did notice that the car had a tachometer. Do SOHC's have tachometers? My 91 does not. This made me think that the guage cluster came out of a LX/DOHC. I do remember reading that the DOHC's have tachs but wasnt sure about SOHC's. Secondly, the speedo seemed to not be very steady when I drove it. I would drive and the speedo increased, but it kinda flickered and i just thought it was odd. Input please?

Respectfully,
    Christopher
    Last edited by diflictedminds; 12-29-2007, 12:25 AM. Reason: lx/dohc

Yes, some SOHCs had tachometers. You can tell a SOHC cluster from a DOHC cluster by the tach...the redline of the SOHC is at 6K RPM while the DOHC is at 7K. They are completely interchangeable though.

Speedometers can ocillate due to the cable being worn, cold, etc. It's not uncommon.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

Seller states, goes up to 8k. Redline is from 6k-8k.

so seems that the guage is SOHC.

running carfax and results are....that the car had 122k miles in 2003.....then it had 172k in 2004 then it magically had 122k in 2005!

What would you guys do if you were in my position?

Comment

the actual mileage is really.... 210k

Comment

My protege came without a tach. It's a 93, though I DID as these guys said, changed it out for one with a tac, 6k redline.

I'd buy it if everything is going smooth, worst case scenario you'd need head gasket work and a clutch.

Anything extreme you would've already seen it, but I'm still on my first pro, the other guys would have a better opinion.
          1993 Mazda Protege DX: RIP (1993-2007)
          1991 Mazda Protege DX: RIP (1991-2009)
          1994 Mazda Protege DX: Alive (1994- )

Comment

If everything else is good, grab it, but offer a lower price due to the mileage. Especially if the body is rust and dent free.

by the way, if you want a SOHC cluster with a tach for your other car, I might have one for sale in a month. (Both of my SOHCs had tachs...wasn't aware that there were tachless 5 speeds)

edit: Also, the speedo flickering could be an indication that the cluster was swapped and the speedo cable is loose. Mine did that when I reinstalled it on my old car.
            Current Cars
            2003 Nissan 350z. Touring Edition, Pike's Peak White and dark tint. Some audio work. Twin turbo swap and more audio work over the winter. Wheels and springs this winter.

Past Mazdas
            1994 Mazda Protege DX. DOHC swap in progress. Sold due to a move
            1992 Mazda Protege DX. BPT (GT-X) swap w. Haltech & MSD. Sold before it saw the road
            1996 Ford Probe GT. Flawless. 5-speed. Kept stock. Sold for an LS1

Comment

Well. offered him 500. came back with no. Then offered him 550. Hesitant. I said, Fine, 600 cash today right now. Sold!

Come to find out, she needs a headgasket (visible leakage, and blue smoke from exhaust), valve cover gasket, (visible leakage), perhaps clutch job later on down the road, as well as the steering wheel cocked to the left off center. (perhaps a tie rod end needing readjustment?), The window was replaced or it sseems like it becuase the trim is kinda falling off, and the body is CLEAN.

pics later...

Comment

doesn't sound too bad. I paid $600 for mine, had an oily engine bay, needed new valve cover gasket and a brake job. Had to replace one of the rear quarter windows, and the trim from the rear windshield came off due to a crappy replacement job.
                Current Cars
                2003 Nissan 350z. Touring Edition, Pike's Peak White and dark tint. Some audio work. Twin turbo swap and more audio work over the winter. Wheels and springs this winter.

Past Mazdas
                1994 Mazda Protege DX. DOHC swap in progress. Sold due to a move
                1992 Mazda Protege DX. BPT (GT-X) swap w. Haltech & MSD. Sold before it saw the road
                1996 Ford Probe GT. Flawless. 5-speed. Kept stock. Sold for an LS1

Comment

Not too bad, especially if you can do the gaskets yourself.

My dad and I dad took apart the head on his pro and replaced it in all of seven hours, was our first time doing it.

Comment

the tach, cupholders, cruise control, tilt steering column, and A/C were part of a "convenience" package for the SE/DX.

93' 5spd DX
                    R.I.P

Comment

That reminds me.

I know the LX was the "Canadian" special edition protege. Power windows, locks, the works.

But what I don't know is, what is the SE and GT?

All the info I got on the SE, was it came with mags. I never even knew there was a GT

Comment

Originally posted by Syntax View Post
                        That reminds me.

I know the LX was the "Canadian" special edition protege. Power windows, locks, the works.

But what I don't know is, what is the SE and GT?

All the info I got on the SE, was it came with mags. I never even knew there was a GT
                        The GT is the Canadian Protege that has the BP...like the US LX except it got the Familia GT/GTX seats and stuff that the US should have gotten. lol

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
                        On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
                        My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

hey us Canadians had 2 get something u get 2 walk into your local 7-11 and buy beer. we have 2 get raped @ a liquor store to get ours. lol
                          Check out the Pics
                          sigpic
                          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=228
                          Mazda's Rule Honda's Drool

Comment

Mine is a 94 DX (SOHC) with a tach...
                            Roads? Where we are going we don't need roads...

Comment

(bought it by the way....$600, so far so good)

going to need....

-weld where pipe meets resonator on exhaust
                              -brake job
                              -sparks/wires/distributor
                              -alignment
                              -valve cover gasket
                              -headgasket
                              -cam seals
                              -precuationary: water pump, timing belt, other belts
                              -might even go ahead and do clutch job while im down there!

Comment

Working...
                              X