Should I buy this 1st gen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I buy this 1st gen?

Looking for some advice on a 1st gen project car. A local guy has a '93 DX MTx with about 160k. It runs and drives. It has these things wrong:
    Cosmetics:
    Massive clearcoat peeling
    Some surface rust starting, no thru
    Front seats worn and torn
    Interior overall is trashed
    Mechanical:
    SOHC
    Passenger side mirror lever broken
    Turn signal does not cancel
    Other:
    Loud exhaust - hopefully just muffler but not sure
    Expect all rubber needs replacing
    Expect it needs a full tuneup
    With the mileage you don't know about timing belt, CV joints, struts, bearings, water pump...etc.
    Tires are gone

As far as I can tell the car has never been modded. The sheet metal is straight. Despite the overall neglected look, it drove pretty well. I'm looking for a project to work on with my son, go autox when done. I would prefer a DOHC, but I gotta have the MTx, and value handling over power.

So the question is, do I go for this one, or wait for something that's not so trashed and maybe an LX? From what I have seen MTx LXs are not common. Oh, he only wants $400.

for $400, that's a pretty decent sounding groundwork to start with. A lot of the problems it has can be fixed for cheap. off the top of my head, I can say you can have my stock turn/wiper column piece, as I'm not using it. There, 1 down, a dozen to go.

If you're really wanting power windows, mirrors, and the DOHC, then I would continue waiting for an LX to show up. otherwise, I would see this a killer deal on a project.
    No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.
      For reasons I can't fully explain, I despise power windows, door locks, seats, etc.

Comment

Check the undercarraige for rust. If the body is straight and theres very little rust snag it. Do a bp or v6 swap and you'll be golden
        1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by downtube View Post
          Thanks for the advice.
          For reasons I can't fully explain, I despise power windows, door locks, seats, etc.
          hahahha! you don't have to explain, I have the same syndrome. but I despise excess wiring too, so that went (30lbs of it)!

well it sounds like this is a good car for you, doesn't have all the fluff you don't want, but has the ability to easily upgrade to better (LX) drivetrain and suspension parts.
          No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

get it
            I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
            |.....Overnight....................| ||
            |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
            |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
            "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
            Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

well the guy changed his mind and decided he can get more. has it listed for $1k.
              stupid thing is, his ad says "excellent condition". if he said "runs great, great MPG, interior/exterior rough", he would get the right traffic and probably get 600-800.
              I don't really need another project now anyway

Comment

if the car are not a lot rust go for it

The Beast : sleeper 323 93 25th
                The Apprentice : Mazda 3 skyactiv 2012

Comment

Working...
                X