Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spare tire well disintigrated

94 Protege

I don't have a digital cam atm to show a pic, but basically the spare tire well in the trunk has basically disintigrated from my car. Luckily I spotted that the plastic/metal material was wearing quickly, so I removed the spare and everything else from the trunk. But the fact remains that underneath the cloth cover, I have a huge circular hole in my trunk. Just wondering if I could get some suggestions on how to patch this. I don't really need it to hold any weight, but I would rather not drive around with a huge hole in my car. The rest of the trunk is fine, but the material of that well wasn't a strong metal like the rest of the body.

maybe you could fiberglass it, thats wjhat I'm planning on doing to where my jack goes, I had a similar problem.
    Posted By: Wheresthericego

The BP crank is made out of invincible.
    sigpic

Comment

Weld some sheet metal?

Comment

Yeah I'd just cut the rest of the well out and weld in a sheet of steel in its place so that it's a flat floor...Or you could go to the yard, find one not rusted out, cut that out...lay it in yours, mark the edge, cut yours out, then weld the new one in.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
        On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
        My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

I did this in my civic years ago.

Find a decent junked protege.

Cut out far more of the trunk well than you need.

remove your trunk well as plus an inch or so.
          Cut the junkyard one you have to fit.
          Get it welded at an exhaust shop. They should primer it to so you'll be good for a while.
          Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
          kitty, you are a hilarious woman
          Originally posted by HopelessCow
          there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
          Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

if that thing is rusted check the car's frame.

Comment

I had an old toyota celica do this. It ended up being a leak in the rear window that was letting water drip down into the spare tire well.

Kane

Comment

Just weld a piece of metal over it. Cut it out with a grinder, get some decently thick sheet metal and weld it or have it welded.
                I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                |.....Overnight....................| ||
                |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

+1

Comment

Lol I wish mine would fall out, I need to cut it to mount up my rear crossmember for the AWD rear end. I would ship it to you but its for an aspire.
                    2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
                    1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Yeah it was water getting into the well. When I discovered the metal was getting weak, I saw it was pretty wet down there. I'm thinking I'll just cut out the rest of the pit and weld some sheet metal to make it flat. Basically the least amount of work/cost possible. Thanks for the tips.

Comment

if it was me, id build and x-brace out of 1 inch square tubing to go under a flat 18 gauge patch panel. weld the brace to the frame, then either rivet the panel in place and put the carper over it or drill holes and weld it in.
                        sigpic

Comment

I had that happen. Huge hole and the rest rotted, so I just cut it out. There was a full tire-sized hole in the trunk for months before I welded a thin plate over the top so that I could use the trunk again.

These things are rustbuckets.
                          Currently:
                          2001 Mazda Protege ES 2.0 - 120k

sigpic Previously:
                          1995 Mazda Miata blue - sold
                          1994 Mazda Protege LX blue
                          1994 Mazda Protege LX maroon

Comment

cutting out = less weight. Get some 22 guage and weld it on over top!

Comment

or you can be a red neck and realise like i did that the top of a 45 barrel drums fits perfect and you can weld that in if you had to haha!

Comment

Working...
                              X