Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BG Canadian Protege questions

Hi
    I was looking at getting a BG protege, and I live in Canada.
    I thought the LX model was the one with the 1.8L DOHC engine but when I found an LX it had the SOHC. I guess they do it different from the US in canada? So is the DOHC version the GT in canada?
    What is different on the GT then a normal sohc version?
    I know the engine is differnt, so if i swap the engine will it be the same? Or are there other differences? (ie. transmission, brakes, suspension, options, etc)

I currently have a BJ protege with the 2.0L FS, so Im not very familiar with the older models, so any help you could provide would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by sly mantis View Post
    Hi
    I was looking at getting a BG protege, and I live in Canada.
    I thought the LX model was the one with the 1.8L DOHC engine but when I found an LX it had the SOHC. I guess they do it different from the US in canada? So is the DOHC version the GT in canada?
    What is different on the GT then a normal sohc version?
    I know the engine is differnt, so if i swap the engine will it be the same? Or are there other differences? (ie. transmission, brakes, suspension, options, etc)

I currently have a BJ protege with the 2.0L FS, so Im not very familiar with the older models, so any help you could provide would be great.

Thanks for your help.
    You need to let your fingers do the walking here LOL. There is is all sorts of information, hit the search button, check the forums on engine swaps, all the information you seek is here, you just have to work a little for it.

Pat.
    sigpic

Comment

all is different engine and drive train,interior

The Beast : sleeper 323 93 25th
      The Apprentice : Mazda 3 skyactiv 2012

Comment

So as not to start (yet another) new thread, I'll just ask my question here, because it is so closly related. Also, I did use the search functon, with no avail.

Anyways, I have the exact opposite of slymantis. I have a DX with a DOHC. I know the engine hasen't been swapped either, because when I use a VIN decoder, it says it's a DOHC. I also have no sunroof, no tach, manual locks, crank windows, everything as base as you can get it, except for the DOHC engine.

I'm really confused about the different models. My buddy has an SE (so DX i guess) and he has a SOHC, but it also has a sunroof. From the dealer, did you have the option of getting these things for an extra price? That's the only reason I can think of why different models would vary so much.

I think a thread completly dedicated to explaining the different trim levels would be cool as well...
        1993 Protege SE

Comment

is a true sunroof, or a popup? only the factory had a roll back sunroof, the dealer had popups.
          No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

it's a rollback
            1993 Protege SE

Comment

well maybe you got DX fenders on there somehow? or just the stickers...or maybe, now this is goin far, you got a DX, with a swapped DOHC and dash with VIN from a DOHC as well? Because I'm convinced DXs didn't come DOHC. Check to see if ur engine bay and dash VINs match to make sure.

Nick
              Posted By: Wheresthericego

The BP crank is made out of invincible.
              sigpic

Comment

wait, god damn. i just ran the vin online, and it came up as an lx. wut the hell? i guess i do just have dx fenders then... so even though i dont have a sunroof, power locks or windows, or anything like that, does it still make sence that it is an lx?
                1993 Protege SE

Comment

No you have a dx with an LX vin.
                  You don't have poweroptions. Its a dx.
                  Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
                  kitty, you are a hilarious woman
                  Originally posted by HopelessCow
                  there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                  Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitty View Post
                    No you have a dx with an LX vin.
                    You don't have poweroptions. Its a dx.
                    It is a Canadian 323 LX that he has, and yes it was possible to have a Canadian 323LX with no power options. It is the DOHC that I don't understand. The only Canadian model to get the DOHC was the Protege GT.
                    The Canadian 323LX got the 1.8 SOHC. The only way the 323 could have a factory DOHC is that it was a European import

Pat.
                    sigpic

Comment

Just like Pat said. It won't be a factory DOHC drivetrain if its from Canada and its NOT a GT.

It COULD be imported from the states though? That's always a possibility.

Pictures of your car and interior would help out greatly!!!

JACK.
                      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Working...
                      X