Strange Heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Heat

Ok, so its going to be yet another heating problem.

To get started, the engine is a 1.8 SOHC, I recently (within the last month or 2)changed the radiator cap, flushed the rad/heater core with radiator flush, and put in new coolant, and changed the Thermostat for a 180deg thermostat.

So now the problem, I have no heat For real, I changed all of the above, except the cap, because I'm trying to figure out why I have no heat. If I let it idle it'll get warm, the temp gauge goes up and there's sort of heat, which is fine by me, at least there's some heat. However, as soon as I start driving it the temp needle drops way down into the cold again and goodbye heat. I can be driving for a while and it usually doesn't heat up. Then I'll stop, go into the store, come back, turn the key, and the temp gauge will read hot. The instant it gets airflow over it, it cools down. Anybody have any idea what could be causing this? Its got me pretty annoyed, I'm almost at the point of just sticking cardboard in front of the radiator and calling it a day, but if somebody has an actual solution to the problem and not a band-aid so to speak, I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks,
    Nick
    Posted By: Wheresthericego

The BP crank is made out of invincible.
    sigpic

Thermostat installed backwards?
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

no the thermostat isn't installed backwards. But would that make it only warm up once the car is stopped ??
      Posted By: Wheresthericego

The BP crank is made out of invincible.
      sigpic

Comment

Same thing happened to me because i had a 180* thermostat installed. I switched back to a 195* and everything worked as it should again. I had no heat unless sitting still, and i was getting horrible gas mileage. Replace with a 195* its the only temp ive gotten the pro to run correctly on. hope this helps.

~steve
        90 LX PS/AC delete, pacesetter header, gutted cat, resonator delete, full 2 inch exhaust. rx7 VAF, home made intake, F&R ebay STB. 18* timing.
        200lbs in weight reduction. old school bmw 318 wheels

http://www.cardomain.com/id/gascanexplode

Comment

sounds to me like you got a crappy thermostat (not as you bought a cheap one but a manufacture DEFECTED one) it happens so often it actually scary people will change them, they either never open or they open and never close cause of a weak spring. i highly recommend before ANY thermostat replacement you put your new bought thermostat in a pan of boiling water to make sure it opens and then let cool on the table for 15 or 20 min to make sure it closes and then retest in boiling water. after that you should be set to install a fully tested and working thermo. hope that helps you
          Check out the Pics
          sigpic
          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=228
          Mazda's Rule Honda's Drool

Comment

Working...
          X