Looking for a replacement BG - Help me choose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooh!

1994 Mazda Protege LX 1.8L Auto, AC, ps/pw, sunroof, 64K, solid motor/trans, needs fuel tank (leaks out of top of tank), needs right rear wheel bearing, car is driveable $950

Sweet! I happen to have a fuel tank. As bad as the damage was to my pro the tank isn't even bent. And I have a manual trans, and the pedals and all that jazz too. So it could work. What about the wheel bearing though? It needs to get pressed in and out, which means I need to take it to a shop for sure, right? What's the least you'd pay to have that done? It'd be cheaper if you bought the part and brought it to them, but don't shops just hate that?
    Could I remove the hub myself and bring it to a shop to get it pressed in and out?
    What if it's not a wheel bearing and the ebrake is sticking? I emailed them. We'll see.
    Last edited by Sever; 02-15-2008, 01:07 PM.
    92 DX - Wrecked on 1/6/08
    2000 ES w/ MSP drivetrain swap
    If you have a daily-drivable 5sp Familia (any gen) you want to trade hit me up

Comment

well, don't you have a good rear bearing? if not, its not easy getting the rear spindle off, tends to stick on pretty good. shouldn't be more than $130 with parts at a shop, guessing high here. sounds like a pretty good deal.

if you swap the 5speed in, you'll need to source a clutch fluid res, as the autos don't have the nipple on the cylinder to tie into the clutch. pretty easy, neuman used a civic, he's got a thread going about it.

Good luck!
      No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

I asked about rust and asked for pictures. Listen to this:
        unfortunately there is significant rust underneath
        (the east loves its sodium chloride) that's why the
        tank rotted out. as for the bearing, i've already
        jacked up the rear and spun it (it's definitely the
        bearing) for this car it comes as a hub/bearing
        assembly as well; if it weren't for the rust, the car
        would be great w/ only 65k
        It's from the east! Ack.

i would say the rust on the chassis is pretty bad, the
        body is fine except for a 3"x2" section on the lower
        left door panel. i'll check the strut towers tomorrow
        and snap some pics as well.
        Last edited by Sever; 02-15-2008, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Well, he sent me back some pictures, they look like you'd expect. You can see surface rust on the top of the towers. I can't really tell how bad it is, but I'm worrie enough. he says
          couldn't really shoot the chassis, however, take my
          word for it, it's pretty rusty
          eek.

In better news, get a load of this:

Here's the deal, car has a blown head gasket. you can buy the car for 400.00 or for an extra 150.00 you can go to the head gasket shop and pick-up the re-manufactured head that is sitting ,ready to install. I need to buy a transmission,so I need fast cash. If you're a good mechanic or someone who can turn a buck. This car is has auto,air, 125K miles,good exterior,interior and good tires also has good glass. $400

Yeah! I can't afford to finish rebuilding my motor, but to get this thing on the road all I need to do is take the head off my DX and replace the gasket! Later on down the road I can throw the DOHC, the 5spd, and a turbo all at once.
          The guy didn't leave any contact info, so I clicked the button to warn him. With my luck it's already sold...hope not

Comment

Working...
          X