Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quick exhaust question...

NO FLAMING. I promise, no more caps.

Ok... I've decided that I really don't want to do any engine swaps because I have no experience and my car is old anyway. Since it's my first car, I love to do little things to it. It's going to last me for a couple of years I think, about 172k miles on it. It's in pretty good shape. My dad asked me what I wanted for my birthday. He knows that I want an exhaust for the car, but he didn't know what kind. I told him that I wanted the corksport catback. Here's the point of this post:

Is it going to be too loud? I like it like this: (ignore the idiots) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOvNZrKJBBg
    I really like this, and he has a SOHC too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igkrzCqzhsw

As much as I would love to do a swap, I just don't see it happening. Plus this would be a gift. I want it to be loud, but not rice loud. I can't find my answer anywhere on the forums. Also: will it fit with the SOHC? I don't need to do any welding or anything right? what else... oh yeah. I've heard that I could get a better sound out of a custom made exhaust. Would it be less expensive? Thanks for your help in advance.
    protege is sold, selling the last bits that I have left. Buy them.

I had the corksport exhaust on my old LX and it was a nicely tuned exhaust. It was loud when on it, but fairly quiet when just driving around. It didn't have the loud raspy sound that many riced out cars have. It will go directly onto your DX assuming you have the stock cat in place. It bolts to the cat and then just slips into the hangers.

Here are some clips with BG's with the corksport exhaust.

This is how my new Exhaust system sounds.Is't the Corksport Powerseries Cat-Back exhaust.Mounted under a Mazda 323 BG series from 1993 (in america known as: ...

miata (possibly with a BP, sounds like my old one)

New "drift" exhaust by Corksport for the NA miata.Apologies for the bad camera which doesn't capture all of the tones

BG turbo

This is a sound clip of the CorkSport Power Series Exhaust on a BP turbo Protege with the CorkSport BP turbo downpipe driving away.

This is a sound clip of the CorkSport Power Series Exhaust on a BP turbo Protege with the CorkSport BP turbo downpipe Rev up.

This is a sound clip of the CorkSport Power Series Exhaust on a BP turbo Protege with the CorkSport BP turbo downpipe at idle.
    Create your own VB Gallery here.

Please DONATE to keep our forum alive!

I've decided that my car is a girl, she's picky as hell, won't listen to me, always wants to fight me, and when i give her presents it's never good enough and she always wants more.

<-"Will be the death of this forum"

Comment

heh that first video i have in my post. and I watched that miata video today before this post, and that bg turbo. Keep in mind that I have a sohc. I didn't know if you read that part, I know it's going to be sorta loud.

Comment

I'm currently running my 4WD (also with the SOHC B8) without it's back muffler (it rusted out.).

So, it's got all stock everything, except for some 2" pipe where the muffler was. Sounds good, doesn't attract the cops. Easy to have a conversation in the car going about 75mph, without getting drowned out.

Instead of a whole catback, I'd look into just replacing your rear muffler with a bit of pipe, with a nice tip if you want something flashy. If it's still too loud, add another resonator like the one up front, or remove it, and add a longer one.

--sarge

Comment

Mine is 2.25" stainless from the manifold back. Magnaflow 2.25" universal cat. The shop provided the 2.25" resonator and muffler.

Here's the result with my BP.

In the car.
          Just an idea of what it sounds like with the headliner removed.
          I peered out from the castle window and looked over the splendor of ROTM county. Yes, twas' a much simpler time back then. Peasants would go about their postings, and I, the mod, would rule over them with an iron fist.

Comment

sounds great. I personally like a flashy tip though. Oh, the ricer in me jk... nice job on that exhaust.

Comment

When i bought my BG it came with an HKS Carbon-Ti with full piping.

It's a bit louder and deeper than Corksport's, but I would've def. bought it If i wasn't already planning an HKS theme for my car's makeover.

Comment

HKS is expensive as hell. I was wondering about if it was worth the 400 bucks, maybe just keeping it simple with a magnaflow or something. I do want to save for a 2.5rs. Full piping would be nice though.

Comment

Working...
                X