• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towing Procedure Fulltime 4wd viscous LSD

Just wondering proper and unproper towing procedures
    for my 1990 Mazda Familia GTX
    (Fulltime 4wd, viscous lsd)

Flatbed/trailer only! DO NOT TOW like a FWD or RWD!

Comment

like he said, if its going to be towed flat bed truck is best - if you have to use one of the hook and wire / hoist tow trucks hopefully they'll have dollie wheels, or if you can be bothered remove the prop shaft

Comment

I've done the first one many times, we got upto 40mph on several occasions. Fun to watch the speedo roll up when you're not driving. tow rope ftl though.
        No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Towing on a flatbed is best but you can tow on the rear wheels if you disconnect the driveshaft. I towed a AWD this past weekend and found it really east to bungee the driveshaft to the exhaust. Do not tow on the front wheels
          I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
          |.....Overnight....................| ||
          |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
          |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
          "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
          Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

i've been lucky enough to have a flatbed every time i had to relocate the car... if you don't have direct access to one, check out either u-haul, or an equipment rental place.
            1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
            Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
            "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

Originally posted by wheresthericego View Post
              Towing on a flatbed is best but you can tow on the rear wheels if you disconnect the driveshaft. I towed a AWD this past weekend and found it really east to bungee the driveshaft to the exhaust. Do not tow on the front wheels
              Why? how is it any different that neutral engine off? It isn't. It's perfectly safe to flat tow.
              No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

IIRC it has to do with the gearbox not getting proper lube circulation. Neutral engine off and coast doesn't typically happen for very long.
                '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Originally posted by almighty4wd View Post
                  Why? how is it any different that neutral engine off? It isn't. It's perfectly safe to flat tow.
                  towing on the rear wheels only is a big no no which is what im talking about
                  I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                  |.....Overnight....................| ||
                  |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                  |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                  "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                  Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Oh okay Nate, yeah, that's true. I thought you were talking flat towing.

Jay, afaik only autoboxes (some don't) need the engine on for towing on the drive gears, the whole fluid pump thing built into the tq converter. Some have an aux built into the gearing, so when the tires roll the pump pumps. But I've only heard of older Saturns having that. I haven't seen a manual (yet that doesn't have some ability to splash oil from the output gear turning.

although now that I think about it, my truck is ghey and has an electric 3 position transfer case, I have no true neutral. So the output is always spinning, and the book says only for short durations, not extended periods. Another reason I should swap in the manual shift case.

So no standard on all vehicles. Its upto the design and the manufacturer to specify.
                    Flat tow-- My truck: no. Protege: yes.

Comment

Working...
                    X