I think water pump led to timing issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think water pump led to timing issue.

My first post! I love my car but its already giving me trouble. I really want to get it on the road but I dont know whats wrong. I need help!

The water pump was making noise so I replaced it (actually my next door neighbor). Now there seems to be a timing issue because it doesnt start, and the timing component is right by the h20 pump which is why I think its that. I think the car is not getting fuel at the right time, and it could be that it is not at TDC. What do you suggest?

You probably misaligned the timing marks when you put the belt back on. Grab a service manual and reinstall the belt and make sure all the marks are correct
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

even without the service manual (which i highly highly recommend anyone get that does not have one), the timing is very very easy to check, even visually.. even by eye, you can get the belt within a degree or two of absolute (enough to run well). make sure the line on the crank pully lines up with the TDC line on the plastic cover (you can see the black plastic cover with the molded lines looking down from the front of the motor). then make sure the notches on your cam gears (two if it's a dual cam, one otherwise) are pointed straight up to the notches on the cover behind it. the age of the cars makes finding the crank pulley groove sometimes hard to find, but you'll find it if you look hard enough.. no worries on messing anything up, either you'll get it right and the car will run, or it just wont start and you wont damage anything. oh... and welcome to clubprotege. i hope we helped you.
      Guess who's back, back again. cable's back.. tell a friend.

Comment

As mentioned check the cam timing.
        You may want to replace the belt if its getting close to doing so.
        -Michael
        '90 Protege SE
        Originally posted by charles
        It's probably to fix that ****ing automatic seatbelt

Comment

Working...
        X