Age releated issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age releated issues...

I have owned my 1994 Protege since 2004 when it was a low k one owner car and garage queen. And despite the high level of care I have poured into my car over the years, father time still manages to take its toll despite relatively low k (17 years/150,000kms), frequent details and yearly oil sprays. I've dedicated this thread relating to issues not necessarily caused by high amounts of mileage, but just age in general.

Rear Shock Towers - While mine aren't as bad as some I have seen (I still have original everything back there...needs to get replaced soon), rust has still managed to crawl its way in not only on the the tower but on the seam at the back. I have kept it at bay with spraying Krown in the area before/after winter.

Water Leak in Trunk - I have the smallest bit of dampness there but it is nothing serious at the moment. Always seems to leak on the left. The right side (not pictured) is still dry with a mint rust free jack. I have frequently seen in cars where the jack sits in a lower area (or in my 929 where the spare sits vertically on the left) that this lower portion of the trunk can rot out pretty fast, aided by salt and grime kicked up by the rear tires. Mudflaps help keep much of that debris away from the area. I also soak this area with Krown as well to keep a problem from starting.

Bubbles on the Hood - Crappy deal that I have seen Proteges with much more k than mine with clean hoods - and despite my lower k I managed to gain 'that one chip' in the right area that sprouted an issue. This started in 2008 and I keep covering up the area with grease outside and oil spayed inside. It seems to be rotting more from the inside than the outside so maybe the chip wasn't the initial problem...?

Upper Front Door Rot - I'm sure there is a better name for that, this is a common problem with these cars near the window and under the rubber seal. It starts at the bottom where the black meets the color and moves up. I have slowed this rot by applying touch up paint over the effected area and spraying Krown/applying vaseline in the area before/after winter. I have two imperfections that made their way onto the outer side but they haven't grown since. Passenger side I caught earlier.

Black Door Goo - I have had this problem since I bought the car - the rear driver's door seems to drip this sticky, black substance from the bottom of the vinyl panel. I only have this problem on this door and in the summer it heats up and drips all over the kickplate. I take it off as carefully as possible with a solvent but some stain still remains. And with the solvent being abrasive, every application takes off more of the finish off the kickplate.

Rear Seat Warping - I have noticed that even when clipped up against the rear deck, my rear seats at the top have warped and don't sit as snug as they used too anymore due to sun/heat exposure.

Seat Fade - I have also noticed my seats aren't the same color as they used to be, either. For the base/SE tweed grey interiors fade to blue, and beige interiors fade to green. The common hit spots are the top of the rear, middle bottom rear, and sides of the front. It appears the dark part of the fabric that runs diagonally is the worst. And since my top/lower rear seat belts never move I have a permanent darker line underneath them now. :/

Sunroof Rust - I don't use my sunroof often so I'm not sure when this problem started...more than likely in the last three years. Its pretty advanced on the left side and if it leaks in years to come I'm f**ked. You can still see a bit of moisture on the first pic and it had been almost 12 hours since I washed the car and it sat inside all day. I'm not sure how to tackle this issue without making a mess of the interior or other areas - perhaps get brush/dab some Krown onto it? It rusted so much it left little bits on the deflector. The ride side is getting it too and you can see the white hard water line that sits right under the lip of the rubber seal.

Foggy Clock - I can't explain this one - the clear plastic that shields the digital clock is fogging up from the inside. It's not a moisture issue either, its just aging in a weird way and spreading like rust.

Wobbly/Loose Mirrors - My power mirrors have gained a terrible wobble over the years. When I bought the car only one did it and only at highway speeds. Now both of them really wobble at highway speeds (annoying when chaining lanes) and still do it at slower speeds. I wonder if they will just fall out one day!

Disintegrating Weather Stripping - I don't have this problem (yet?) but its all over my mom's Protege - almost all doors the weather stripping is slowly peeling and ripping off.

That's all I have for now. These are all things that have caught my eye when doing full details and viewing every possible area on the car.
    Last edited by Cool_Steve; 04-20-2011, 07:19 PM.
    ~ Stephen ~
    -1993 Ford Taurus LX (R.I.P.)
    -1994 Mazda Protegé SE (Canadian market trim pkg)
    -1990 Mazda 929 S
    -1991 Mazda 323 LX (Sold)
    -1992 Toyota Corolla LE (Davesfarm) <R.I.P. Sept. 2009>
    -1990 Toyota Corolla SE (Davesfarm) (still alive in 2013!)
    -1994 Buick Regal Custom (Davesfarm) <R.I.P. Sept. 2009>
    -1983 Pontiac Parisienne (Sold)

I would hate to have to deal with those rust issues. My '88 is still rust free thank goodness. I've never seen someone try so hard as you, and still lose the battle.

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

problem is you aren't dealing with the issues .. just trying to cover them up with grease/vaseline ect even the krown will not help . you are just locking in the moisture. the ONLY way to deal with rust is to remove it and properly prep and paint the surface re-sealing it from further damage

sun fade... yeah well .. either tint or good luck .. everything fades in the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaNoob View Post
        problem is you aren't dealing with the issues .. just trying to cover them up with grease/vaseline ect even the krown will not help . you are just locking in the moisture. the ONLY way to deal with rust is to remove it and properly prep and paint the surface re-sealing it from further damage

sun fade... yeah well .. either tint or good luck .. everything fades in the sun.
        Agree 100% on the rust. Get the rust off the car completely, sand/grind to bare metal, prime, body fill, paint. Don't be afraid to just dig the rust out and make some holes, the holes are really already there. I have a 37 year old VW and it's a never ending battle.
        2002 Protege DX, 1974 VW Standard Beetle

Comment

steve remember that 93 that i took from the guy in cambridge? remember how bad that hood was rusted at the front? well when i got that car back to the shop i swap my hoods. striped the front of that hood down, sandblasted, epoxyed it. the i filled what i needed, primed and painted. that was almost two years now and still nothing has come back. if you dont actually fix these issue, no matter what you do they will get worse. when metal heats and cools moisture builds up. even if theres something on the rust.

Comment

All of our cars have age related issues lol, it gives them personality.

Rust sucks, blast/grind if off or it'll come back to haunt you.
            -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

The rust on the towers is not from the towers. Its from the mounts. You need to replace the mounts and wirewheel the towers where the rust is contacting from the mount. I'm having the same problems with my towers.
              Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
              "Who Dey"

Comment

The black door goo is really bad on mine. I've thought about stripping it all off and deleting the plastic water shield as well, but I don't know if it would leak too much inside. I've never seen evidence of moisture behind the shield so I don't know.

Also my front windows like to dive forward when they move. The right one is worse and will fall out of its track if the door gets closed while it is misaligned. I don't know if it's the regulator or the track that's at fault.
                Last edited by me109; 05-11-2011, 01:20 PM.
                1990 Protege 4WD
                GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                ├┼┤
                2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

psh.... that car's mint!!!!

for the wobbly mirror, use a phillips screwdriver, and tighten the screw through the hole on the bottom. if you really want, take the screw out, put some loctite on it, and screw it back in.

--sarge

Comment

Originally posted by SgtRauksauff View Post
                    psh.... that car's mint!!!!

for the wobbly mirror, use a phillips screwdriver, and tighten the screw through the hole on the bottom. if you really want, take the screw out, put some loctite on it, and screw it back in.

--sarge
                    The screw holds it at the bottom. There were two plastic brackets at the top that slipped over hangers in the enclosure to stabilize it until they got brittle and broke off. That is what causes wobbly mirrors.

I fixed this issue successfully on two cars with a paper clip and a torch.
                    1990 Protege 4WD
                    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                    ├┼┤
                    2 4 R

Comment

^ have a write up of your fix??
                      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Not to mention sticking door locks, windows that no longer roll up or down, leaking trunk, ripped drivers seat, bubbling paint, flaking clear coat, leaking radiator, and the fact that I'm driving one of the oldest cars on the road that still kicks ass
                        1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
                        1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
                        2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
                        1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Originally posted by me109 View Post
                          The screw holds it at the bottom. There were two plastic brackets at the top that slipped over hangers in the enclosure to stabilize it until they got brittle and broke off. That is what causes wobbly mirrors.

I fixed this issue successfully on two cars with a paper clip and a torch.
                          I fixed mine with jb weld and gluing it in place

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                            ^ have a write up of your fix??
                            I described the process one time, but I don't think I expressed myself clearly enough. I'll see if I can do a proper write up sometime soon.
                            1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                            ├┼┤
                            2 4 R

Comment

Originally posted by Cool_Steve View Post
                              Upper Front Door Rot - I'm sure there is a better name for that, this is a common problem with these cars near the window and under the rubber seal. It starts at the bottom where the black meets the color and moves up.
                              I'm in the battle with it too - used rust stop acid, now I'm planning put primer and paint on that place
                              Originally posted by 1st Gen View Post
                              Not to mention sticking door locks, windows that no longer roll up or down, leaking trunk, ripped drivers seat, bubbling paint, flaking clear coat, leaking radiator, and the fact that I'm driving one of the oldest cars on the road that still kicks ass
                              Right conclusion, lol
                              sigpic
                              1990 323s BG 1.6i

Comment

Working...
                              X