BG w/ front end damage doesn't run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BG w/ front end damage doesn't run

So I'm lookin' at this LX on CL, It's had a front end fender bender that broke the rad fan, the guy hasn't overheated it. http://yakima.craigslist.org/cto/3050988091.html
    There is an overall engine bay pic on the CL ad, attatched is a closeup of the intake tube right after the VAF. The guy says it hasn't run since the crash (May 19) He thinks it's the kink in the intake tube. Will this be an easy fix or could it be something else, I thought it might be an inertia fuel switch that was tripped in the collsion, but I did some searching here and the Mazdas don't have them.
    Thanks in advance
    Kellen
    edit* I should mention that I only need a sound engine and tranny out of this to sap into my Festiva. Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kellen302; 06-19-2012, 05:10 PM.

If It was running when it was in an accident then the motor is fine. Assuming it hasn't been years and years of sitting. My guess would be a wiring or air flow meter issue and the kinked intake tube wouldn't help for sure.
    -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
    VF10 powered!
    262 Whp & 257 Wtq
    13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

The bend in that hose *will* keep it from running.
      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

looks sound for a drivetrain option

Originally posted by jay View Post
        The bend in that hose *will* keep it from running.
        I agree lol, looks in pain.
        -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Well I got it, came with sweet speakers. 675$ delivered. Got the hose unkinked checked fluids to start it, no water, alright: so I dumped a waterbottle in and it all came out the bottom How bad would it hurt the car to just start it with no coolant to make sure it runs? and would it be at all possible to drive it 50ft up a hill? I don't want to tow/push it but I will if necessary. I thought it had 3/4 tank of gas too, nope, guage is stuck. And the tank is bone dry. all I had was 3/4 of a gallon and it wouldn't even cough or sputter on that. Hoping that's the only issue

Comment

to start it just for a few seconds without any coolant wouldn't be an issue. Put some fresh fuel in there and see what happens
            -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
            VF10 powered!
            262 Whp & 257 Wtq
            13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Yup, gonna get some gas today and see what happens, before I found it was drained it cranked well but wasn't even coughing or sputtering so gas is probably the only missing ingredient. BTW as a festiva owner and enthusiast, even the Protege's engine bay seems much more cluttered with all of those frivoulous options like Power steering and AC. Also doesn't help that everything's about 3 inches further back from it's factory installed location.

Comment

Protege still don't run. It's got a couple gallons of gas in it now. I pulled off all of the intake tubing before the VAF. I can push the VAF flap when the key is "ON" and I can hear the fuel pump humming away. I can get the car to crank but no cough or sputter. The PO said they just had it towed home and hadn't run it. What would be the first thing anybody here would check? It's currently in a not very dissassemble friendly location and I leave tomorrow for Honduras I'd like to get it running before I leave but that may not happen.
                Now it's pouring down rain and I don't have a covered work area. It's got oil, doesn't hold water. I'm just a llittle puzzled on where to start.It also doesn't appear to be leaking anything besides water, I didn't see any gas leaks.
                If a Mod wants to move this to the engine/drivetrain section that would be appreciated!
                Thanks Heaps
                Last edited by kellen302; 06-30-2012, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Did you try a different distributor?
                  1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                  1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                  2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                  2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                  .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

There is NO intake tubing "before the VAF" it is all after that. So if you took any tubing off, the VAF is not in circuit, and the car will not work.
                    With things (like the VAF) pushed back against the coil and ignitor and all the critical VAF and IGN wires, you should expect it to not run.
                    Maybe it has saved you from doing anything really stupid.
                    Have you looked at WHY the water is running out?
                    Is or was the engine itself pushed back, crushing fuel lines etc.?

Have you ever worked on a car before?

No offense meant, but:
                    You are certainly not competent to be swapping engines given these questions and that picture.

You can start it without water 10 seconds, NO driving up a hill especially!

FRM

Comment

There is a little tubing before the VAF. It runs down and around into the fender.
                      1990 Protege 4WD
                      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                      ├┼┤
                      2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

@ gofanu I took off the small airbox with the filter that feeds into the VAF, I think you misunderstood me. I left the VAF and the tube between it and the throttle body intact, I just unkinked them by taking the battery out and giving the tube some space to exist without kinking (kinky isn't it ) The water is running out because the radiator is ruptured. Yes I have worked on a car before. the engine itself was not pushed back from what I can tell, I don't think any fuel lines are crushed. It looks like the PO rear-ended a truck because it looks like the bumper pushed in the grill/headlight area, but not lower and the hood is intact and not crumpled (sort of like pushing the middle out of a sandwich) I pretty much figured I wouldn't be able to drive it up the hill, I was just hoping I wouldn't have to push/tow it. And the picture was not taken by me, it wwas taken via iphone by the seller. I might be able to get a fresh pic of things tomorrow.

@Turpro I don't have a different dizzy to put on My friend is a computer/electronics guy and his dad works for Fluke. My friend will be helping me deal with the electrical side of things as far as why it ain't runnin'. Sadly, after I get back from my trip on the 12th

I know to check the basics like checking for fuel pressure at the rail, checking for spark. But I didn't have the time/space to do this today, and the torrential downpur forced me inside. I am mainly just asking what you guys would check first with something like this, or if there is a common problem that shows itself in such circumstances as these.
                        Thanks Heaps guys
                        *Edit, I was a slow typer and just read what me109 said. Yup that is what I'm talking about, it was part of what was kinking the intake tube after the VAF because it had been forced up and in.

Comment

Well I would start by looking for stored trouble codes.
                          1990 Protege 4WD
                          GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                          ├┼┤
                          2 4 R

Comment

I'll see if I can get that tomorrow. The diagnostic port with the plug I have to ground is on the drivers side firewall according to some forum searching, correct? My repair manual to tell me where everything is is in the mail right now.

Comment

Yes. It says DIAGNOSIS on it and it's hard to miss. Jump TEN and GND and look up the codes.
                              1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                              ├┼┤
                              2 4 R

Comment

Working...
                              X