lube for brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lube for brakes

this may sound stupid, but after I clean my brakes (rotors all the way around) what kind of lube should I put on the parts? pins, pistons, mounting bolts, . . .
    -spank

1992 LX DOHC 1.8 5 speed

PERMATEX Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube

According to Permatex, it's an environmentally-friendly, non-melting synthetic lubricant. It's formulated specifically for caliper pins, sleeves, bushings and pistons.

Check it out at: www.permatex.com
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
      uhh no.... **** that ****.... that **** dries out after some time (year or two)..... and then your **** is seized again.... and you take the **** out and it's all dried crusty nasty ****

use silicone dielectric grease.... I recommend 3M silicone paste... it comes in a can and a brush attached to the lid... silicone grease is what was used from the factory and it works damn good... never dries and no crusty ****
      I want to say some smartass comment about the massive amounts of profanity, but editing this quote would have taken out all its meaning.
      ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
        use silicone dielectric grease.... I recommend 3M silicone paste... it comes in a can and a brush attached to the lid... silicone grease is what was used from the factory and it works damn good... never dries and no crusty ****
        I looked up your recommendation on the 3M website. I believe it's the product with the part no. 08946, available in an 8 oz screw top can. Good to know that you've found it to be the best choice for caliper lube-I'll keep that in mind when I'm ready for my first brake job.

Also, since it's a dielectric grease it can be used to coat spark plug and coil terminal boots (to prevent tearing on removal) and low voltage electrical contacts such as those for the headlights and relays to prevent corrosion and ease connector removal. However, DO NOT coat spark plug terminals or high tension wire connectors with this product since the spec sheet states that it is not to be used where the voltage level exceeds 500V.

All in all, a pretty versatile product to have around.
        02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
        MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
        MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
        Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
        Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
        Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
        Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
        Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
        Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
        Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

You do check your brakes annually, don't you? Just re-lube then. The proper tool for the job and all.

I've used brake caliper grease for years, worked the piss out of my brakes, and never had anything seize.
          2003 Protege LX • HomepageClemson SCC

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar
            I looked up your recommendation on the 3M website. I believe it's the product with the part no. 08946, available in an 8 oz screw top can. Good to know that you've found it to be the best choice for caliper lube-I'll keep that in mind when I'm ready for my first brake job.

Also, since it's a dielectric grease it can be used to coat spark plug and coil terminal boots (to prevent tearing on removal) and low voltage electrical contacts such as those for the headlights and relays to prevent corrosion and ease connector removal. However, DO NOT coat spark plug terminals or high tension wire connectors with this product since the spec sheet states that it is not to be used where the voltage level exceeds 500V.

All in all, a pretty versatile product to have around.
            I would recommend putting it on every harness you take apart. Provides a better connection and helps prevent corrosion. You can buy the special spark plug dielectric stuff, for higher voltages. Although the only version of that I've seens is the little packets they rape you for.

And yes, I can attest to the brake deal, on my 323 the brakes were done by a shop last(found a reciept in car), proper lubrication was there, that bitch was soo ****ing seized. I ruined one of the guide pins and the caliper trying to take that god damned son of a ****ing bitch apart. (Kinda quoting TheMan)

Me VBGarage HERE

"90% of young people that get into car accidents say "OH ****". The other 10% are from Wisconsin and say "Hold my beer and watch this!".

Comment

I had to look this up to make sure no one was doing something stupid. Caliper lube and dielectric grease are very similar. For Motorcraft XG-3, they are one in the same.
              Last edited by Hraefn; 06-07-2005, 10:31 AM.
              2003 Protege LX • HomepageClemson SCC

Comment

I use Valvoline sythetic grease. I also use it to lube the chassis and my coilovers.

Comment

wow,
                  looks like i threw a spark, . . .
                  thanks for all the advise, . .
                  one more question, . . the only stuff i can find are those little $0.99 packages, where do you guys buy this stuff from online? and also where the heck do i get new rear M springs?
                  -chris

1992 LX DOHC 1.8 5 speed

Comment

Since we're on the topic of brake caliper lube, anyone have opinions on Sylglide??
                    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

ok, . . . I feel like a moron, this is the first year I did my brakes by myself, . . years previously I bought my pads from the dealer, (much more expensive) and they came with the M-springs and the, i do not know what you call them but the plates that the pads slide on, inbetween the caliper and brake pads, not the bacling plates, but anyway I figured out that i needed to purchase a hardware kit, which had all that stuff for about $7 a wheel.
                      away thanks for all your help
                      spank hard, . . . .
                      - spankboy

'92 DOHC 1.8, manual 5-speed

Comment

Working...
                      X