Back from the J/Y with brake parts-some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back from the J/Y with brake parts-some questions

I just got back from the pullapart and found an LX with most of the brake parts. I took the rear spindles with calipers and both front calipers. Couldn’t get the one remaining front spindle off and one of the front calipers is missing the pad pins. Can these be purchased separately and is there a good way to test the wheel bearing as well?

I plan on taking all the calipers apart to clean and paint them so I'll take some pictures after I clean all the grease off and let you guys weigh in on whether or not they are keepers. Any suggestions on what to let the calipers soak in to loosen the grease? I plan on purchasing rebuild kits for them as well.

I had to take both rear spindles off the car with lower suspension arms attached. I couldn't get the suspension arm bolt out of the spindle. I got the nut off, but the bolt would not slide out. I pounded on it with a hammer trying to get it to slide out, but it would not budge and using my 18" breaker bar with 21mm just rounded out the head of the bolt. I tried using liquid wrench, but didn’t help. There was another LX that I tried first and the same thing happened I just figured it was too rusted and looked for another LX. The LX I pulled these parts from had very little rust so I’m not sure why the bolt won’t move.

I plan on going back next weekend with my brother, we are going to try and get the front spindle and the LX gauge cluster, miles are within hundreds range. We are also going to see if I can get some MX3 seats, I saw one with a decent passenger seat.
    Last edited by Silentbob343; 07-24-2005, 09:20 PM.
    2005 Mazda 3

For the pins, just go to an auto store and buy a hardware kit (sometimes called installation kit, or caliper hardware kit).

I just bought one day cause i did my brakes today on my EGT. The kit cost me 9 bucks each, and it came with a W spring, two clips for the bracket, and two of the slider things that go through the pads.

For starters, I'd try some brake cleaner on the calipers to see what that gets off, then i'm not sure... good luck

Comment

that bolt will not come out, ever. just swap the whole assembly.
      sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
      92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

really....

****, I hope I didn't mess up the threads for the nut with the hammer. I've also stepped on those damn lower arms trying to get leverage on that bolt, hope I didn't **** those up as well. Haynes made no mention of those bolts being difficult or not coming out, ****ers.

Thanks for the info
        Last edited by Silentbob343; 07-25-2005, 02:05 PM.
        2005 Mazda 3

Comment

yeah, they like to freeze in there. if the threads are ****ed up, just use a die to repair them. no big deal.
          sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
          92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Originally posted by atomicEGT
            yeah, they like to freeze in there. if the threads are ****ed up, just use a die to repair them. no big deal.

true, thanks for the info

I started to taking apart the calipers, removing the old pads checking out the rubber boots the rears look ok, but the fronts will need to be rebuilt. The boots kind of dried out and some have tears. Of course in my haste at the junk yard I might have left some bolts that I might have needed. When I go back on Saturday I'll see what parts I need and try and get them from the other LX they had as well as the e-brake cables.
            Last edited by Silentbob343; 07-25-2005, 03:51 PM.
            2005 Mazda 3

Comment

Working...
            X