e-brake wont work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e-brake wont work

i got a 94' dx that i just bought like 2 hours ago well the ebrake dosent work has this happened to anyone else? what needs to be done to fix it?
    my cars

Pull harder.

1994 Mazda Protege DX - Automatic - 47K miles - AM/FM/Cass - 13" Hubcaps

Comment

If you have drum brakes the adjuster levers need to be removed and cleaned and freed up ,then coated with anti seize . If you have discs the same thing will need to be done , Your park brake cable might need to be replaced

2001 LX 2.0 Grace green metallic with gold graphics,
      Motegi MR12 rims in gold
      Falken Zeix 502's 205/40/17,
      MDC Enterprises short throw shifter,Sparco shift knob,
      Sparco pedal set,Vibrant axle back muffler , MDC Enterprises CAIwith K&N filtercone,Ractive strut bar,MP3 rear swaybar,Tien S-tech springs ,AWR engine mounts,AWR adjustable endlinks,AWR rear trailing arms,Konig rear wing colour matched ,Altezza tail lights edges colour matched to car.P5 front seats,
      P5 front conversion with side skirts

Comment

spectrum, i pull the handle all the way up and the brakes dont do anything
        macklum, ill try that. i dunno if i have drum or discs its a 94' dx
        my cars

Comment

If its a DX probobly drums, either way burnouts and crap like that will jack with your ebrake, my friend bought a car and the ebrake worked perfect when he got it, locked wheels and everything, and then like 6 Ebrake Burnouts later the crap wouldent even try to grip whatsoever
          Joe H
          2000 Chevy Impala
          3400 3.4 Liter V6
          Fun Times

Fenderwell Intake w/ K&N Cone,
          U-Bend Delete, Resonator Delete,
          Flowmaster 40, Hi-Flow Cat, Optima Redtop

Comment

my cables were rusted together and one of them snapped.

I replaced them from partsamerica.com. I dont recommend the raybestos cables as they are severely lacking in quality. The connectors are aluminum and dont fit as snug as they should on the caliper side and they dont even have boots.

They do work fine however.

Comment

Originally posted by 13b_demon
              i got a 94' dx that i just bought like 2 hours ago well the ebrake dosent work has this happened to anyone else? what needs to be done to fix it?
              If you have a DX, you have rear drum brakes. There can be a number of reasons as to why your e-brake isn't working. It could simply be out of adjustment, your e-brake cables could be broken or stretched, the e-brake mechanism in your drums could be stuck due to rust.....ect. Does the e-brake handle go all the way up with ease like theres nothing attached to it, or is there tension felt when you pull it as if something were trying to work but is just seized?

Comment

it goes up with no resistence
                my cars

Comment

Originally posted by 13b_demon
                  it goes up with no resistence
                  Sounds like you have a break in your e-brake cable. If it's the same as an LX, then it's a two-piece e-brake cable system, with one cable coming from the handle which turns into a junction bracket, from there it splits into two cables: one for the left rear, and one for the right rear. If there is absolutely no resistence whatsoever, then the single cable that connects to your handle is most likely the culprit. You can easily check this by getting under your car and removing the exhaust heat shield above your resonator. Three 10mm bolts hold that on. Once that is out of the way, you can see where the single cable comes thru the floor thru a grommet/boot, and connects with the rear cables. This is where I would look for problems. Once again, this is the set up on a LX, this procedure will work if a DX has the same general e-brake set up.

Comment

i stripped 4 or 5 of the teeth off of the rachet for my handbrake a few winters ago

after replacing it i put a little post-it note on my dash that said "you are not richard burns" :o
                    sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
                    92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Originally posted by atomicEGT
                      i stripped 4 or 5 of the teeth off of the rachet for my handbrake a few winters ago

after replacing it i put a little post-it note on my dash that said "you are not richard burns" :o
                      Was there an announcement on this forum about his passing?
                      2005 Mazda 3

Comment

Originally posted by Silentbob343
                        Was there an announcement on this forum about his passing?
                        don't remember
                        sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
                        92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

not to steal this post but my my E-brake you cant even pull up is it seized or just need to be lube with something
                          FIRE OFF:microwave

Comment

Didn't make a new thread so I'm bumping this one. I had the e-brake repaired some years ago and since then it worked fine...until today. Protege was sitting for two days in cold weather, today needed to go out. Warmed it up as usual but the interior wasn't fully warm yet. About 30 seconds after leaving I'm coming to a turn (no one else around) and I tug on the e-brake [not super hard] (everyone likes snow fun once in a while) and it worked for a split second then I suddenly hear a noise and the lever has zero resistance. Now it goes all the way up and down, no resistance. I was barley moving when I pulled it. Is it bad or something that can be easily fixed? Was the cause being the interior/(or rear brakes) was too cold and a cable snapped, or was it just pain old age? '94 with rear drums. The last time I used the e-brake I was parking on a steep street three weeks ago.

I'm going to be stressed if I have to take apart the center console, I have never taken a screwdriver to any panel of this car ever. It's one of the few first gens left still bolted up perfectly from the factory.
                            ~ Stephen ~
                            -1993 Ford Taurus LX (R.I.P.)
                            -1994 Mazda Protegé SE (Canadian market trim pkg)
                            -1990 Mazda 929 S
                            -1991 Mazda 323 LX (Sold)
                            -1992 Toyota Corolla LE (Davesfarm) <R.I.P. Sept. 2009>
                            -1990 Toyota Corolla SE (Davesfarm) (still alive in 2013!)
                            -1994 Buick Regal Custom (Davesfarm) <R.I.P. Sept. 2009>
                            -1983 Pontiac Parisienne (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Cool_Steve View Post
                              Didn't make a new thread so I'm bumping this one. I had the e-brake repaired some years ago and since then it worked fine...until today. Protege was sitting for two days in cold weather, today needed to go out. Warmed it up as usual but the interior wasn't fully warm yet. About 30 seconds after leaving I'm coming to a turn (no one else around) and I tug on the e-brake [not super hard] (everyone likes snow fun once in a while) and it worked for a split second then I suddenly hear a noise and the lever has zero resistance. Now it goes all the way up and down, no resistance. I was barley moving when I pulled it. Is it bad or something that can be easily fixed? Was the cause being the interior/(or rear brakes) was too cold and a cable snapped, or was it just pain old age? '94 with rear drums. The last time I used the e-brake I was parking on a steep street three weeks ago.

I'm going to be stressed if I have to take apart the center console, I have never taken a screwdriver to any panel of this car ever. It's one of the few first gens left still bolted up perfectly from the factory.
                              no resistance at all normally means you snapped your cable.
                              sigpic
                              ________
                              '94 MX-3
                              |229,000 miles and DEAD|

SOFA
                              KING

SLOW

Comment

Working...
                              X