No announcement yet.

PICS: Replacing Axles, Snapped Link Nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The place I go to (Weaver Auto Parts, a local chain) had them for like 17 bucks or something like that. They don't do shipping or have a website with prices.

Autozone has them for 29.99, it's part number ES3066
    The outer, from autozone, is 36.99, and is part number ES3048R

I just realized that I have a spare, in the box, right here in front of me.

outer tie: MOOG part number EV265, you should be able to get that wherever MOOG (Federal Mogul) parts are sold. Looks like it was actually 27 bucks, not 17. Which is pretty far from 15, my bad. but still, 70 bucks (40 for an inner and 30 for an outer, both rounded up) is a lot cheaper than paying a shop to do it...

As far as removing it, it's really easy to do, but if this is the driver side, then it's sort of a pain to reach, you'd be better off taking out the battery and tray to reach it that way. All I used was a couple of adjustable wrenches. One on the rack, and the other to turn off the outer tie rod end. (you have to slide the boot up to get to it). You might want a cheater pipe if you can fit one in, but I was able to break mine free without it, although it was pretty tight.

--sarge

Comment

hey thanks just got ur PM as well, i swear, as soon as i STOP looking for the FSM, i get two copies...

...autozone around here is selling the same part for ten dollars more, but i already ordered it from our in town local parts store for 35....im only doing the passenger side, so hearing stories about the drivers side dont really phase me, no battery pulling for me am i correct in assuming that there are only two new parts needed each side? the new tie rod itself, as well as a new tie rod end? (both of which i have/ordered) my tie rod end just isn't coming off, so i'm going to replace the entire tie rod assembly on the pass. side.

....oh yeah, also got my alternator and battery tested at advance today, turns out i got a bummed battery, the guy took it back and replaced it for free since it had only been a year so more good news!!!

Comment

yep, only 2 parts, the "inner" bolts to the rack and is the rod, and the "outer" has the joint to go into the knuckle.

--sarge

Comment

sounds great...thanks a TON for your help sarge

Comment

well final update, its done!!! after a week and a half of waiting for parts, the workshop, and time to do it, i finally got everything done and it feels great. the endlink seems to be holding up well, the new cv joints don't click at all, and the tie rod/tie rod end tightened up the steering a LOT...the car is fun to throw around corners again, without it sounding like its breaking. i've got some killer uphill/downhill sweeping esses like a mile from my house, and they're fun again...i'll post some before/after pics this weekend when i jack up the car for one last inspection before my trip monday back to school. everyone thanks so much for your help.

Comment

Working...
            X