Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Pedal and E-Brake

First problem:

when i park my car on a hill and leave it sit for a while, the brake pedal becomes hard as a rock. the pressure doesn't release (so i can actually brake) until the car is started. When I say pressure, I should really say it feels like they are locked; no matter how hard i push, the pedal won't depress. What should I look over? Brake cylinder, lines? It's ONLY a problem on hills (or my driveway which isn't that steep.)

Second Problem:

My ebrake has slowly lost its holding power. For a while it seemed to only engage one side (the passenger side) but now it does nothing. I noticed when I would pull the brake line a bit (was working with the wheels off on the exhaust), the ebrake would engage a bit (handle was up). Eventually I play with the adjusters but could this be related to my brake pedal issue and a more serious problem?

The pads are fairly new, rotors are good, lines were bled when I changed the pads out, and the car stops just fine while driving, pedal feels good.
    Seth
    2010 Mazda3 i Touring

are your rear calipers adjusted up properly. and as far as the brakes being stiff when the car is off that seems correct. it prob happens more on hills because you have you foot on the brake after the engine is shut off therefor useing up the vaccum reserve.

Comment

I agree about the pressure end of it. That sounds normal. On the e-brake deal,how many clicks did it take the last time it grabbed? Maybe you just need to adjust it.
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

You either need to adjust your ebrake at the handle or at the calipers. Also your rear calipers could be getting a little weak too, pop those suckers off and clean up the slider pins and grease them up. I do all 4 of my calipers twice a year

JACK.
        -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Yea I guess I'll just start fiddling with the adjusters. thanks all.
          Seth
          2010 Mazda3 i Touring

Comment

i know on the drum brakes the adjustment is 5-7 clicks and thats full hold on even a steep hill. same for disc?

Comment

Working...
            X