wheel hub/caliper/Axel Nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheel hub/caliper/Axel Nut

So I had to drive my car around for a week with metal rubbing in metal. NOT VERY FUN!

I finally have time to check out whats going on with the car and I find out that the pads are gone, the caliper is shot, and the top bolt on the caliper wasnt fixed in place, causing it to strip leaving nothing for the bolt to bolt to.

So I pull off the hub and caliper with fresh pads off of my other protege. And In order to get my axel nut off of my new car, I leave the tire on and wheel on the ground.
    Ingredients for getting Axel nut that has been on way too long and probably torqued to 1200psi. =

1- 6 foot pipe from Home Depot = $12
    1- 32mm Axel Socket from Auto Store = $13
    1- Breaker Bar from Sears - owned
    = PWNT AXEL NUT!

Just make sure you leave the tire on and the car on the ground to loosen. Put in reverse or pull ebrake, that way you don't move. Took me all of 2 hours to swap hub, and caliper with pads, and bleed brakes (after buying parts and diagnosis). It was so awesome! I get to do other side this weekend.

i've had those bolt holes strip out before too... i find its easiest to just have them re heli-coiled but thats me
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

actualy if its like the 2nd gen you can cheat and just use a coarse threaded bolt instead of the thin threaded stock one:D
      Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
      kitty, you are a hilarious woman
      Originally posted by HopelessCow
      there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
      Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

LOL now you tell me. I had all the parts so... Thank you guys for the posts, thats some time saving/good to know info!

Comment

Working...
        X