Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no more tease...the real deal

see more here
    95 Ford Probe GT | 03 Dodge Ram 1500 ST | 71 Ford Mustang "Mach I" clone | 90 Mazda 323 | 00 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 2003 Kawasaki Z1000

I don't usually say this to men but "that's huge"
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post
      I don't usually say this to men but "that's huge"

His response could be:

"That's OK, I don't usually hear that from men"

Jay

Comment

Almost need 2 calipers on there! haha
        Drew
        '95 EGT 1.8
        T
        '93 ELX 1.9 SC
        '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

Wow, really makes you realize the little friction surface of the pads with the original caliper.

Comment

thats pretty wicked
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by bam View Post
              Wow, really makes you realize the little friction surface of the pads with the original caliper.
              this rotor, though huge - which mostly is taken up by the hub, has a relatively low friction surface. and the surprisinly awesome thing is that, my OE pads cover up all of it, the whole pad now covers the entire width of the friction surface of the rotor. nothing wasted.
              95 Ford Probe GT | 03 Dodge Ram 1500 ST | 71 Ford Mustang "Mach I" clone | 90 Mazda 323 | 00 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 2003 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Originally posted by Saturna View Post
                His response could be:

"That's OK, I don't usually hear that from men"

Jay

actually my response would be "i've never heard that from a man, and would prefer to never hear it again from another man"

Comment

ok how is this... Ive seen bigger

kinda goofy with such a small caliper personally... BUT this is a great cheap upgrade. good job man!
                  There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

another thing that scares me I just though about is with the caliper so far out there the leaverage is going to be enormous! I would be very afraid of failure of even the hub let alone your adaptor
                    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

failure of the hub? (i understand the whole larger diameter = more force/leverage) but u care to expand on what is it that ur "afraid" of failing?

the bracket is out of solid 3/8" thk. 1020 cold rolled steel. and all hardware are automotive grade. it's not going anywhere.

i'm sure there are concerns, u could either a) bring up some concrete explanation or numbers to support your concerns, or b) ask me or follow this thread to check up on my field tests and actual daily application....otherwise i'd appreciate it if u didnt just scream out about being afraid of "failure" of my parts.

Comment

If I may bring a legitimate concern ... the rotor is supposed to be placed on a much larger hub. Any worry about the large rotor area that is not supported by the hub?

Comment

the hub on the rotor is significantly larger than the hub on the car behind it. however, that is not a personal concern of mine (though im sure it could be for some). reason being the rotor is sandwiched b/t the wheel and the hub. it doesnt not receive any "lateral/horizontal" (side to side) forces, and more specifically the "unsupported" areas do not receive any special forces. the only force it gets is the normal rotational "torque" and that has nothing to do with whether the hub is supporting it as the support isnt even in the same axis as the rotation force. if u feel that the hub on the rotor of this set up would fail, then u should worry about any hub on any rotor on any set up would fail as well.

brake rotors arent made out of cardboard....the material itself can substain what it's supposed to be put through. have u ever seen/heard of a brake rotor suffer shear failure? the rotor's friction surfaces on all rotors arent supported by the hub, do you worry about that part of the disc failing?
                          Last edited by Rayman; 06-14-2009, 02:07 AM.

Comment

i hope im not sounding rude, b/c i understand the cause for concerns, but so far the concerns i see are non-issues. it's like questioning whether the end of the spokes on a larger wheel would be more likely to break. or the outer edges of a bigger throttle plate on a bored TB would be more susceptible to cracking.

i'll continue to drive the car daily, and i'll report any suspicious activity. trust me, i dont wanna crash as much as u

Comment

^ I'm with you on that man!

Comment

Working...
                              X