DX Front Rotors, and brakes all around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DX Front Rotors, and brakes all around

I'm looking for some good priced oem quality parts. Just good, everyday driving equipment.

I have some ebay rotors on the front, and they are horrible. The duralast gold brake pads seems to be okay though and I get free lifetime replacements for those. So i need some good front rotors and rear drum pads.

Any good brands, or brands that I should sway away from?
    My car is a Vazondissan. Part Nissan. Part Mazda. Part Ford. Part VW. Part Honda.

1993 Protege - DX with LX upgrades. Still rockin' the SOHC. Custom HID headlight Retrofit.

2009 Mazda 3 - Finacee Car. No power nothing. About to trade in for a 2014 Mazda 6 Sport.

Install Shifter Bushings: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...491#post646491

Custom HID's: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...&highlight=hid

Tirerack.com has great deals on brake parts.
    I'm running Brembo blanks that are a bit more $ than these, but my friend is running these and they are complaint free so far. And them being black is a nice touch because they won't rust.
    link
    -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
    VF10 powered!
    262 Whp & 257 Wtq
    13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
      I'm running Brembo blanks that are a bit more $ than these, but my friend is running these and they are complaint free so far. And them being black is a nice touch because they won't rust.
      +1 on the Brembo blanks. I had them on my BG, and currently on my BJ Protege. For general everyday usage, and even the occasional backroad flog, they're great. Yeah, they do cost a little bit more, but you are getting what you pay for. As for the Centrics (see the link in Ace's post), they look like they'd be fine for what you need them for. Though, I'm not sure they won't rust. I can't tell for sure, but I think the black is just a coating that will wear out over time. I don't know for sure, as I rarely deal with Centrics, and I've never used the black ones. I could be wrong on this, though. Either way, as long as you drive your car at least every other day, rust isn't a problem. And either the Brembo or Centric rotors will work just fine.

As for your rear shoes, I don't have any recommendations, as I've never changed mine. If you can find shoes in the same brand as your pads, you might want to consider going with those if you're satisfied with the pads. Generally, I stay away from the more generic Autozone/Advance/Sears/whatever store you went to pads, ceramic or no, but then again I'm a little harder on my car than some, and I do a lot of stop-and-go, so it's worth it to me to spend the extra money to get better quality aftermarket pads/rotors. For your purposes, there's nothing wrong with Duralast or it's equivalent, and that lifetime warranty does come in handy.
      1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

The black coating will indeed wear off over a week or so of driving. Its just a rust prohibitor.

Centric rotors are very nice and at a good price through that link. There are various brands of pads that are good, but stay away from generic ceramic pads. The company by the name of ATE makes some good pads as well as very cool patented (i believe) slotted rotors. I know you want to stay stock, but they look sooo much cooler then a stock blank or normal slotted rotors.

Rotors- ATE, Centric, higher-priced Raybestos are good choices

Shoes- Stay AWAY from Wagner, Monroe makes some good shoes, haven't had many problems with generic brand shoes, but these are from vendors in the area, not from a pepboys, autozone, advanced,etc.

I know you said you dont need pads because of the warranty, but Akebono makes some good **** too! One question though, how can brake pads be warrantied? One movie pops into my head when I hear a warranty on a wearing item like brake pads and thats Tommy Boy.

Comment

i'd go oem mazda for the rear shoes, if you need wheel cylinders, i'm sure they're all close to being the same.
          -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

check rockauto.com.
            94 pro base model, all synthetic fluids, s/r struts, front & rear ebay upper strut bars,front & rear tie bar, ZX2 1" front swaybar, EGT 21mm rear sway bar, custom delrin endlinks front & rear, custom delrin rear swaybar mount bushings, EBC front blanks & redstuff pads, CS ss brake lines & dot 4 fluid, big drum brakes in rear (from ZX2, free parts), 2.25 custom exaust w/magnaflo oval muffler, 4-wire o2 sensor, custom ram-air, 4-wire BP tb, MSD super conducter plug wires, MSD Blaster SS coil, NGK iridiums,OEM weighted shift knob, ebay short shifter, bronzoil bushings, CS ss clutch line, custom air splitter, mx-3 recaro drivers seat, EGT foglight switch, 35w 5000k hi/lo hid's

soon:
            lightened flywheel & clutch; in garage,
            Miata Daisy's; after new tires

Comment

Does DX use 18mm (like 1.6 323s) rotors or 22? Anyway, I recommend brembo rotors,
              in case 18 mm they are 09.5869.14, and Ferodo premier pads - I like this combination. They are not expensive, but do theirs bit. This stuff has saved, at least, my front bumper some times ).
              Last edited by labeo; 07-08-2010, 01:17 PM.
              sigpic
              1990 323s BG 1.6i

Comment

Even though I run 4 wheel disk I'll chime in. Everyday daily driving and occasional fun.

Front-rabestos rotors/duralast ceramic pads
                Rear-duralast rotors/duralast gold semi metalic pads.

Never had a problem with this setup and I've had to slow from boosted fun runs. If its just a dd I'd say go for it. I want to upgrade everything when I get more power but that's only cause I feel if you're going to go bigger on power than make sure you upgrade your stopping power as well.
                1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                  I'm running Brembo blanks that are a bit more $ than these, but my friend is running these and they are complaint free so far.
                  I've heard nothing but great things about the brembo blanks. Depending on my budget, if I can afford a little more expensive rotor, i will be getting the brembo blanks.

Originally posted by 1Mazda323Fan View Post
                  for what you need them for. Though, I'm not sure they won't rust. I can't tell for sure, but I think the black is just a coating that will wear out over time.

As for your rear shoes, I don't have any recommendations, as I've never changed mine. If you can find shoes in the same brand as your pads, you might want to consider going with those if you're satisfied with the pads.
                  The pads are the orginal pads. the rear drums have never been off the car. I want to replace them bc the parking break is almost useless.

Originally posted by Raider9864 View Post

I know you said you dont need pads because of the warranty, but Akebono makes some good **** too! One question though, how can brake pads be warrantied? One movie pops into my head when I hear a warranty on a wearing item like brake pads and thats Tommy Boy.
                  With the duralst gold rotors, you have a lifetime replacement on them. All of the duralast gold stuff had nice warranties.
                  Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
                  i'd go oem mazda for the rear shoes, if you need wheel cylinders, i'm sure they're all close to being the same.
                  Depending on price, I may. I dnt like how they charged me $8 for the ditsy o-ring.

Originally posted by Turpro View Post

Front-rabestos rotors/duralast ceramic pads
                  Rear-duralast rotors/duralast gold semi metalic pads.

Never had a problem with this setup and I've had to slow from boosted fun runs.
                  I have the litle weak sohc, so i dnt think stopping will be a problem. I may just do the duralast gold on all 4 corners, and the brembo blanks on the front. Depending on how much it totals to be.

Thanks for chiming in! I need some breaks bad. Probably wnt be able to get some until august/ september though. i'm a broke ass senior in college. i'm glad i'll be graduating in may.
                  My car is a Vazondissan. Part Nissan. Part Mazda. Part Ford. Part VW. Part Honda.

1993 Protege - DX with LX upgrades. Still rockin' the SOHC. Custom HID headlight Retrofit.

2009 Mazda 3 - Finacee Car. No power nothing. About to trade in for a 2014 Mazda 6 Sport.

Comment

I'm confused. Do you have disc or drum brakes on the rear of your car? Either way, check the adjustment of the parking brake cable. It tends to get a little loose after a few billion uses. You might just need to snug it up. Alternately, the shoes might need adjusting themselves, especially if you have rear drums, since they serve two purposes. Drum shoes generally last a couple hundred thousand miles, so I'd check them before replacing them. It's not the most fun thing on the planet.
                    1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

Originally posted by 1Mazda323Fan View Post
                      I'm confused. Do you have disc or drum brakes on the rear of your car? Either way, check the adjustment of the parking brake cable. It tends to get a little loose after a few billion uses. You might just need to snug it up. Alternately, the shoes might need adjusting themselves, especially if you have rear drums, since they serve two purposes. Drum shoes generally last a couple hundred thousand miles, so I'd check them before replacing them. It's not the most fun thing on the planet.
                      I have rear drums, and i'm pretty sure durlast makes brakes for the drums. And if i go through the trouble of pulling the rear drum off, and I'm doing the front brakes and rotors, imm go ahead and do the rear pads while i'm down there. And the car has 215xxx miles on it. the last 90xxx since i've head it, i have not been so nice to it. the first 135xxx it was driven by drunks and driven with the ebrake up. So i'm sure it needs some pads in the rear.

And the pads can't be any worse than my 66 C-10 rear drums, or my aunts 89 Stanza. Just drake dust galore and fragile springs.

Comment

Working...
                      X