Trouble bleeding clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble bleeding clutch

It was working when it was parked I'm pretty sure. Now I just can't seem to get the system to pressurize again after tearing it all apart. I'll probably try again tomorrow but since the pedal doesn't seem to be pushing anything, I think I might have to replace the master cylinder.

Bled the brakes and they work fine.
    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

yep saved me from typing it all out lol
      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

I slept on it a bit and decided a new master cylinder would be both cheap and easy. That will be high on my to do list tomorrow.

Comment

I thought I needed to bleed my clutch once. I went through a sickening amount of brake fluid doing so. Turns out that one of the springs on the clutch plate (something about vibration dampening I think, I dunno, I'm not all that up to speed on clutches) had exploded and the clutch needed to be replaced.

It felt like there was air in the line and when I pushed the pedal down it didn't disengage it. PITA

Comment

I got this taken care of. I bought a new master cylinder for $17~ and had it installed in less than an hour. Getting it bled was still a problem though because the bleeder valve didn't seem to work properly. When I finally pulled the valve out all together and used my thumb to plug the hole, I got good progress, as well as a bath of fluid. It worked though. I reinstalled the valve and am happy to report a fully functioning clutch.

Comment

I've always found that the clutch bleeding takes a LOT longer than the brakes. I think it just doesn't move the volume of fluid that you'd expect.

I take a big syringe (used at one point to feed myself through a stomach tube) and suck the fluid through, at first, then do the pump'n'bleed to finish up.

--sarge

Comment

Originally posted by SgtRauksauff View Post
                I've always found that the clutch bleeding takes a LOT longer than the brakes. I think it just doesn't move the volume of fluid that you'd expect.

I take a big syringe (used at one point to feed myself through a stomach tube) and suck the fluid through, at first, then do the pump'n'bleed to finish up.

--sarge
                We have an exercise ball that has a syringe looking thing to blow it up. It would have to be modified to work in this situation but it's a great idea.

As for feeding yourself through a tube in your stomach, I wish I could do that sometimes when my wife insisted on putting mushrooms in the spaghetti sauce. Other than that, it would suck ass!

Comment

I always use one of these:

It makes it easy for me since I don't have to have a helper around.

Comment

I like speed bleeders. those things that look like the stock valves, but have a spring loaded check valve in them. Just loosen, pump, tighten it up, done!
                    Cheap to. Works for clutch and brakes.
                    94 pro base model, all synthetic fluids, s/r struts, front & rear ebay upper strut bars,front & rear tie bar, ZX2 1" front swaybar, EGT 21mm rear sway bar, custom delrin endlinks front & rear, custom delrin rear swaybar mount bushings, EBC front blanks & redstuff pads, CS ss brake lines & dot 4 fluid, big drum brakes in rear (from ZX2, free parts), 2.25 custom exaust w/magnaflo oval muffler, 4-wire o2 sensor, custom ram-air, 4-wire BP tb, MSD super conducter plug wires, MSD Blaster SS coil, NGK iridiums,OEM weighted shift knob, ebay short shifter, bronzoil bushings, CS ss clutch line, custom air splitter, mx-3 recaro drivers seat, EGT foglight switch, 35w 5000k hi/lo hid's

soon:
                    lightened flywheel & clutch; in garage,
                    Miata Daisy's; after new tires

Comment

Working...
                    X