too many balljoints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

too many balljoints

hey everyone. i have had an issue with the suspension on my protege for a awhile now. i have had the car about 4 years now and have had to replace the balljoints 3 times already and ready for a fourth! i dont know if it is something i am doing wrong but, the replacement procedure is pretty strait forward. the balljoints i have been putting in are without a grease fitting and are sealed. i didnt like them because when you press on them it does not feel like any grease is in there at all. i still dont see them failing that quickly. the only ones with a grease fitting i could find were the ones by moog. do i need to go with those? does anyone know if i could be doing something wrong or if these cars are known for going thru balljoints? i would hate to spend the money for the real good ones only for them to fail early too. it feels like the wheels are gonna fall off every time i hit a bump and creaks real bad in tight turns and the last time that happened, the balljoints were loose so i am guessing thats what it is again. do i need an alighnment right after the balljoint install? would that make them last longer?

i used aftermarket ball joints once... they lasted a month!! so i went to mazda got the real deals and have never had a problem since.

Comment

These do eat bj's but not that fast mood problem solvers are the best you should make sure you buy ones with a lifetime warranty so u don't have to pay for them.. Also are your struts original ? Any broken springs ? Weak struts will cause premature failure on other suspension components.. Also check your control arm bushings b4 u declare a bad bj

Comment

Moog problem solvers* fat fingered on the iPhin

Comment

check your alignment is on. check the condition of your strut thrust bearings (front-on top of the spring perch's)
          Avoid large potholes.

shortly get a lifetime warranty on the balljoints- that way @ least your wallet doesn't hurt each time.

I recommend staying as far away from "MOOG" products as possible.
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Ive never had a problem with any moog product
            sigpic

Comment

ive been having a similar issue. As far as your all the other suspension parts id make sure theyre just as kept up on. my struts needed replacing and shortly
              after words my left front ball joint went out. Idk much about this car yet and i dont claim to either but ive been warned by other drivers that the ball joint issue is common with them.
              2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0
              First car, first forum. Glad to be a member.
              Lets begin!

Comment

Try Moog parts. Close to factory you are going to get.

Comment

i always run the moogs also. never had to replace one after the initial replacement.
                  ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                  ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                  What are you driving?

Comment

ok. thank you for the replies. i will get prices on both moog and factory. as far as i know the struts are original but, passed inspection so, i guess they are ok. springs are good as well.

Comment

there are multiple MOOG product lines.

there's the regular product line, which is just standard fare. Then here is the "Problem Solver" line, which is rock solid. I've had the regular-line MOOG's destroyed on just a stock-ish car. But I've never had a problem with the Problem Solver line even on the cars that I've tracked heavily. This isn't just the BG platform, this is also on my AE86 and my Volvo, and my 1-ton chevy van that I use for a tow rig.

Just remember, you get what you pay for.

That being said, I really kind of like the design of the raybestos ball joint, although I've yet to actually use them, since my moogs are still ok. However, I'll probably throw all-new hardware on one of the 4WD's soon, and I want to try the Raybestos ones out.

--sarge
                      Last edited by SgtRauksauff; 02-06-2012, 04:30 PM.

Comment

My 4wd eats ball joints too... I do drive a lot of "roads" that could be considered a rallcross challenge course though! Gotta get to the garage I'm working on my projects at somehow though.
                        2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
                        1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Originally posted by schaefer View Post
                          ok. thank you for the replies. i will get prices on both moog and factory. as far as i know the struts are original but, passed inspection so, i guess they are ok. springs are good as well.
                          how many miles? and what do you consider to be inspection on the struts?

Comment

hmm. I have had to replace a total of 2 balljoints on 2 awd pros one of which is a rallycar. Make sure your parts aren't made in China if at all possible. Other than that I got nuthin as to why your car is eating them.
                            '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                            '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                            http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

the car has 135,922 on it and the struts are just inspected by the mechanic i take it to as per the annual PA state inspection.

Comment

Working...
                              X