Farting Car Troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farting Car Troubles

Damn this sucks my car sounds like it's farting big time.

My g/f was driving my car and I got to hear how bad my car sounds. At low RPMs it sounds ok but when it accelerates it gives of a really irritating high pitch farting sound. No wonder I get slight headaches when doing long road trips.

Will a resonator cure this? If so any highly recommended manufacturer.

I checked before and I didn't have an exhaust leak that would make sounds like that.
    ED
    '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
    Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
    WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

I am not sure that high pitch and fart can be any similar sounds at all. And even though you already checked for the leaks, I would do again, or have some one else take a look at it. Does is sound like its sputtering? Also, didn't you have your precat gutted out? Maybe you got something stuck in the pipes creating this unknown noise
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

I had 2-3 people take a look at it and they said there were no leaks that would cause that high pitched noise during acceleration and high speeds. I guess it sounds like it's sputtering when I turn the engine on but it's no different from other cars. My car actually sounds like pigeon's when the car starts.

Would a resonator lower sounds of the exhaust by alot?
      ED

Comment

Originally posted by loganss
        I had 2-3 people take a look at it and they said there were no leaks that would cause that high pitched noise during acceleration and high speeds. I guess it sounds like it's sputtering when I turn the engine on but it's no different from other cars. My car actually sounds like pigeon's when the car starts.

Would a resonator lower sounds of the exhaust by alot?
        I do not think a resonator would help with the high pitch noises. Resonator helps balancing sounds waves that travel through the exhaust pipes, but not the high pitch noises. It helps reducing the over all noises, which are usually deep or low tones, but not high ones.

Comment

A resonator will not hurt, I would recommend it regardless.
          Did you check the any of the flex joints? Or the Flex pipe itself??
          Ryan The middle child is always ignored
          BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

AHHHHH I need a flex pipe. Guess that's why you don't leave stuff like exhaust to the imagination of some hop workers.

"The use of a flex pipe helps greatly to isolate engine vibrations and prevent them from traveling down the entire length of the exhaust during hard acceleration."

Thanx guys. So I'm going to install a flex pipe and resonator. I can't keep getting headaches from long trips. Just wish I would've known this before I got my exhaust done. oh well

Any recommendations on what company to get these parts from?
            Last edited by loganss; 01-03-2005, 12:06 PM.
            ED

Comment

Originally posted by loganss
              AHHHHH I need a flex pipe. Guess that's why you don't leave stuff like exhaust to the imagination of some hop workers.

"The use of a flex pipe helps greatly to isolate engine vibrations and prevent them from traveling down the entire length of the exhaust during hard acceleration."

Thanx guys. So I'm going to install a flex pipe and resonator. I can't keep getting headaches from long trips. Just wish I would've known this before I got my exhaust done. oh well

Any recommendations on what company to get these parts from?
              I doubt you would get anything specific made for our cars, regarding the flex-pipe or the rsonator. But I am sure that any exhaust shops would be able to get unversal ones and make them fit. Goodluck.

Comment

Took the car to the shop and the guy told me he had the same experience in his supra. He also said that putting in a flex pipe wouldn't really help.

He told me that a resonator/muffler (he called it a glass pack or something like that) would be a lot better. The part is a long piece of pipe with some notches/pockets inside it. (I guess to catch the turbelnt air near the outer portion of the pipe.)

The guys seemed to know what he was talking about so I told him to install the part. The overall sound of my exhaust lowered but it still retained a nice deep sound that I liked. So far during acceleration and driving up hills I doesn't seem to be annoying.

I'll take a pic later I didn't have my camera. Silly me.
                ED

Comment

You do know that glasspacks eventually break? Those "notches/pockets" inside of it do give away after six months or so, I believe, and then, you are back to square one. Well not entirely, but pretty close to where you started from.

Comment

Well that sucks just a little bit. It was just $55 so I don't feel bad.

It made the car sound just the way I wanted it to. What product would do the same exact thing as a glasspack but last longer?
                    ED

Comment

Working...
                    X