timing belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing belt

I replaced the water pump on my 95 Mazda MX3 1.6L DOHC. The timing belt was replaced last year so I replaced the water pump without removing the timing belt. I carfully worked the pump from behind the timing belt. Nothing else on the car was changed or moved and the car will not start. It sounds like it is out of time. Is it possible the timing belt jumped a tooth or 2 while the idler pulleys were off. Is there enough slack in the belt for the belt to disengage the teeth on the pulley? I did not check the position of the belt as I made the assumption the belt would keep the correct location on the crank pulley. Has anyone encountered this problem?

TheMAN was right. I should've removed the timing belt when I changed the water pump.
    The timing marks were off a bunch. With the idler pulleys off and the belt loose the valve springs force the cam and cam pulleys to rotate to a rest position. The motor is back together and running great.

I came up with a shop trick to keep the cam pulleys in position while installing the new belt
    that I did not come across in the forum posts. I used vise grips on the cam shaft (not on lobes) to keep the cam pulleys from rotating off the timing marks. I have seen several posts where guys struggled with the cam pulleys. This works great. Just don't forget to remove vise grips when done!!

Comment

yeah you got to use a 17, 18, or 19mm wrench to grab a hold of the camshafts. it just keeps the valvetrain from moving. i don't remember which size, well that's how it is on the 95-98 protege's w/ 1.5L.
      Almost there

jdm tails... check
      jdm bumper... check
      ms lip... check
      ms grill... check
      ms sideskirts... check
      ms rear skirts... check
      ms spoiler... check
      ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
      Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

Working...
      X