98 1.5L No Oil Pressure (Pump Priming)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

98 1.5L No Oil Pressure (Pump Priming)

I just swapped a 1.5L out due to the previous engine spitting out the crank bearings. The replacement 98 1.5L has sat for a year or two (salvage yard). It fired right up but I have no oil pressure (light is on). I swapped sensors and still no pressure (light is still on). I checked sensors with air pressure and both go from short to open with air pressure. Also, ran engine without sensor and no oil comes out sensor port.

My guess is that the oil pump needs 'priming'. Typically, that means removing the pump and filling the vanes with petroleum grease (vaseline). BUT, I just noticed on the old engine a hex head plug on the oil pump housing below the alternator. Is that an oil pump primer plug. If so, how do I prime the oil pump without having to remove it? Do I force vaseline into it or can I just squirt 5W-30 oil in?

Your help once again is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Bill

You can get a engine oil primer. Basically a presurrized tank. You put about 5 qts oil into. Then you fill it with 100-120psi of air. You then use one of the fitting's to hook it up to the block (usually at the oil filter housing area) Then you let it go until you can see oil at the valvetrain. Do this in the car witht he engine hooked up will prime everything including the oil pump. More than likely the oil pump lost prime.

You could disconnect the coil plug take out sparkplugs and basically turn the motor over for 5 seconds. this should orime it too, but isn't as good for the motor as the priming pressure bottle.

Sorry for being late. I live in Austin too! and my 98 is fuct up right now!

YAy

Ryan
    05' Mazda6i 5spd pebble ash, 16" Konig theory wheels
    89' Conquest TSi built 2.6 mpi,big turbo
    88' Starion ESirstock 2.6 w/milds mods
    05' Nissan Frontier le VQ4.0 tan/black

Comment

I just reused my old one when i replaced my engine. Nice bump btw.
      Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
      kitty, you are a hilarious woman
      Originally posted by HopelessCow
      there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
      Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Working...
      X