ghetto idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ghetto idea

I'm just gonna run an exhaust cutout before my cat so it's like open downpipe for the turbo, but it won't be as obnoxious...

yes no? why?

How do you mean "cutout"? Just a pipe going from the turbo and ending open just before the cat? So the cat back part of the exhaust would just hang there and not be used?

If that's the case it will still be crazy loud and incredibly obnoxious as exhaust will dump under the cabin. That is really not good.

I can't think of a cheap way of doing it except for a straight pipe from the turbo to the back of the car. It will still be illegally loud but should be bearable for you and you won't asfixiate yourself.
    1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

well a cutout is a y pipe with a block plate so you can open it to run open or just run your normal exhaust... while i was in the shower i thought instead of doing that, i can just cut out a piece of the pipe before the cat and run it like that, there would be some pipe for the exhaust to travel through so it shouldn't be as loud as an open downpipe right?

Comment

I think the open pipe would be pretty loud and absolutely illegal...

About the cutout. So the idea would be to have some exhaust actually go thru the cat and some would go straight to the atmosphere. I got you now. You're just trying to eliminate restriction for the turbo. How would you rig it up to open the cutout? Getting under the car to open/close it will be a pain.

The thing is air is a gas and it will take the quickest path to the atmosphere. I would imagine there would be hardly any exhaust going thru the cat and thus the back O2 sensor will get funny readings. IDK about this.

edit: hang on, where is the second O2 sensor on the Z5 cars? I suppose if you can get it to run properly and not affect the sensor readings (and you don't mind the hassle and legal issues) then it might work...?
        Last edited by Shaun32390; 01-28-2006, 07:56 PM.

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

cutouts always show good improvements in turbo'd cars. i'd say go for it and let us know.
          Almost there

jdm tails... check
          jdm bumper... check
          ms lip... check
          ms grill... check
          ms sideskirts... check
          ms rear skirts... check
          ms spoiler... check
          ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
          Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

im gonna get the summit racing cutout
            and just run it open all the time

put it before the cat

23 bucks plus shipping and whatever my friend wants to weld it on.

all i would need is 1 cutout right? a second won't won't make a difference since it'll all be going out the open cutout anyway right?

Comment

That would make the car even more illegal.
              Exhaust systems must exit behind the passenger compartment.
              Ryan The middle child is always ignored
              BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
              Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Suffocation, no breathing...

Comment

You could run straight piping from the open side of the cutout to the back of the car (along side the current exhaust if there is space) to make sure nothing gets into the cabin but I guess that would put you over budget...

Much more to come...

Comment

if it's done properly, it's not ghetto...
                    i have no passenger seats in the back, so technically as long as it's behind the front seats it's ok then again it's illegal to start with.

Comment

I seen a car here with electric motor operated ones that could open the exhaust @ a flick of the switch . Hit the switch again and your legal .
                      98 protege lx 1.8l
                      short ram intake custom
                      crane hi-6 ign.
                      14 miata alloy wheels
                      .50 over pistons and some other tricks .

my protege

Comment

yea but there's no point in that if the whole purpose is to open it up for the turbo (which will be on the car 24/7)

besides, if you check laws, at least here... ANY exhaust mod is illegal, even mufflers and crap...it's not enforced, but it's on the books.

Comment

Originally posted by strutman
                          i have no passenger seats in the back, so technically as long as it's behind the front seats it's ok
                          Technically no rear seats doesn't constitute a smaller passenger compartment.
                          Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                          BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

gonna sound like ****....

Comment

Ok I'll just answer your original post - yes it would be obnoxious , it would be loud and quite possibly have some flames blowing out at times . It would make your car a magnet for police . If your are building a turbo 1.5 for street use chances are it is not radical enough to warrant such work.
                              98 protege lx 1.8l
                              short ram intake custom
                              crane hi-6 ign.
                              14 miata alloy wheels
                              .50 over pistons and some other tricks .

my protege

Comment

Working...
                              X