F'd up my camshaft install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F'd up my camshaft install

fack, one of my bolts for the caps broke inside of the head. getting that stud out is going to be bitch. time to drill, hopefully when i get around to removing it, i don't **** up any thing else.

third pic is a comparison of cams. left is intake cam, right is exh-intake cam.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 95pro; 02-27-2006, 07:04 PM.
    Almost there

jdm tails... check
    jdm bumper... check
    ms lip... check
    ms grill... check
    ms sideskirts... check
    ms rear skirts... check
    ms spoiler... check
    ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
    Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

pics of the lifters. btw, the exh-intake camshaft swap is possible only on engines with hydraulic lifters.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 95pro; 02-27-2006, 09:01 PM.
    Almost there

jdm tails... check
    jdm bumper... check
    ms lip... check
    ms grill... check
    ms sideskirts... check
    ms rear skirts... check
    ms spoiler... check
    ms struts... check

Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

Don't drill if you can help it. usually if you break a bolt like that by over tightening it will still unscrew easily if you can somehow get a hold of it with something.

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Comment

its not hard to get those out, just get a kit from home depot, or a reverse thread drill bit, go low speeds.
        proud owner of a 13lb 5 ounce porker baby boy. no longer the proud owner of the car below, it now belongs to 95pro.

Comment

proto,
          it's in the works. i know exactly what to do, the whole reverse thread deal.

those bolts don't have to be torqued down that much. so it should come out easily(knock on wood).
          Almost there

jdm tails... check
          jdm bumper... check
          ms lip... check
          ms grill... check
          ms sideskirts... check
          ms rear skirts... check
          ms spoiler... check
          ms struts... check

Comment

did you break it off putting it in, or taking it out?
            guessing from the stress on the end of the bolt id say putting it in?
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

bpt323, i was putting it in. it only requires aprox. 100 inch pounds of torque. not foot pounds. keyword: ONLY

doing the math, converting to foot pounds it was only about 8 foot pounds.

those #'s i'm pulling off the top of my head. i'm at work. i'll take a look at the fsm and get the exact numbers.
              Last edited by 95pro; 02-28-2006, 11:09 AM.
              Almost there

jdm tails... check
              jdm bumper... check
              ms lip... check
              ms grill... check
              ms sideskirts... check
              ms rear skirts... check
              ms spoiler... check
              ms struts... check

Comment

I actually ment getting a hold of it with a small pair of pliers if it broke of right at the surface or a small flathead screwdriver if it broke off in the hole, their is usually a peice in the middle that reaches off to the side of the bole that sticks up a little and you can get a scredriver to turn it.

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Comment

if it went that way, i'd have it out already.

have you looked at the size of of that hole?-referring to the plier idea. it's just not possible.
                  Last edited by 95pro; 02-28-2006, 11:43 AM.
                  Almost there

jdm tails... check
                  jdm bumper... check
                  ms lip... check
                  ms grill... check
                  ms sideskirts... check
                  ms rear skirts... check
                  ms spoiler... check
                  ms struts... check

Comment

Well its a range of 7-11 ftlbs or 14-19nm if memory serves correct.

If you can cut or indent a groove for a screwdriver perhaps you could turn it out.
                    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I was sitting here wondering how I got so lucky and didn't break a single one of those and then it hit me - I cleaned the threads with a tap!

Comment

Dude that sucks. Shouldn't be too hard to get out though. Just sucks that it's down that far.

I had a bolt snap on me when I was changing my brakes. I used that little hole on the rotor that you can screw a bolt into to pop the rotor off and ... snap. The bolt broke in half. But I was able to get a pair of pliers on the end and turn it out easily.

Comment

intruder, of course i cleaned the threads. just bad luck i guess. i did the conversion from inch pounds to foot pounds correctly.

like they say, **** happens.
                          Almost there

jdm tails... check
                          jdm bumper... check
                          ms lip... check
                          ms grill... check
                          ms sideskirts... check
                          ms rear skirts... check
                          ms spoiler... check
                          ms struts... check

Comment

lmfao, HAH i didn't do any conversions and just got so wrapped up in putting it all back together that I figured it was ftlbs and twisted the top off of three different ones before I went back and reread it.
                            proud owner of a 13lb 5 ounce porker baby boy. no longer the proud owner of the car below, it now belongs to 95pro.

Comment

Originally posted by 95pro
                              intruder, of course i cleaned the threads. just bad luck i guess. i did the conversion from inch pounds to foot pounds correctly.

like they say, **** happens.
                              ****. I guess it does happen.

Now that I think about it I must be blessed. I reinstalled the cams numerous times when setting the lash.

Comment

Working...
                              X