Clean your MAF sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean your MAF sensor

I did this yesterday and was very pleased with the results. Just out of curiousity since my idle was getting rough I figured I would clean the maf sensor and instantly afterwards the idle returned to a steady smooth idle. The maf sensor wasn't visibly dirty but it definately solved my problem. Also the throttle response is crisper. I just bought a can of CRC Maf sensor cleaner at schucks unhooked the Maf like it says to do and sprayed it down. Wait for it to dry and hook up the hoses and your done. I recomend this for everyone.

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Pics?

I gotta ask, by the way... How would your MAF sensor get so dirty that it actually needs to be cleaned? Are you using a crappy air filter?

Comment

Yeah what he said.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
      Mods:
      DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
      http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

The air filter helps, but ever notice if you have oil on the inside of your intake tube? it will reach the MAF...plus there are very small particles that still make it through the filter, these can sit on the MAF wire, and mess with its readings

Mods:
        JDM Headlights + Corners
        JDM Tailights
        1st Gen LX Black Wheels
        Shaved Side Mouldings
        Second hand 'High-Flow' Muffler
        Cone Filter
        KYB GR-2's + Perf Lowering Springs
        E-Bay front strut bar
        Gauge cluster swap w/ Tach + Indiglo gauges
        40% Tint on side windows, 20% on rear
        and the best custom 3rd brake light overlay...'ZOOM'

Comment

What he said. As well as I live in an area with a lot of dirt roads and no matter how good tha air filter some small particles will still get through.

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by JZProwler
            The air filter helps, but ever notice if you have oil on the inside of your intake tube? it will reach the MAF...
            Yes, I have... downstream from the crankcase breather tube. The MAF is upstream of the breather tube.

I haven't looked in there lately, but the MAF and the upper half of the airbox looked pretty clean last time I did. However, the throttle body was black on the inside before I cleaned it out last night.

Comment

Haha, yea I forgot one of my intake valves is bad....so it still pushes it past that tube sometimes, my mistake.

Also, you can just use rubbing alcohol/isopropyl alcohol if you want, instead of spraying it with that cleaner, its all I do once in a while.

Mods:
              JDM Headlights + Corners
              JDM Tailights
              1st Gen LX Black Wheels
              Shaved Side Mouldings
              Second hand 'High-Flow' Muffler
              Cone Filter
              KYB GR-2's + Perf Lowering Springs
              E-Bay front strut bar
              Gauge cluster swap w/ Tach + Indiglo gauges
              40% Tint on side windows, 20% on rear
              and the best custom 3rd brake light overlay...'ZOOM'