Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powersteering problem in 1995 1.8... need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who's the post whore now?
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Originally posted by 98b/w pro
      who's the post whore now?
      Maybe some day I will be but, for now, YOU are the #1
      Attached Files

Comment

Sorry folks, he's new here. The above is referring to another website forum.

Comment

I use the term just visiting.
          I'm not new.
          Its a vacation from msprotege and imazda.
          mainly when i need to search for random **** for 2nd gens.
          now letsget back on topic and solve this guys problem.
          if he ever comes back.
          Beater=/= Sleeper

there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
          Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

im back!! lol

i'm not sure if the same pulley was used or not. Mazda charged $1200 to redo the whole ac so I sure hope they put a new pulley and stuff on there! But this has been about a year ago that the a/c was redone. I figured that if it was the affects from a bad a/c install, that the car would've started messing up before now.

Comment

If a Mazda dealership fixed the A/C and it was only about a year ago, the chances that it's the A/C compressor have now dropped considerably. It's not impossible but unlikely. You're going to have to go with my first suggestion to install a new or remanufactured power steering pump. Since you will have the drivebelt off anyway, give the compressor pulley a few spins before you buy the pump. Yes, you will have to go in another car to buy the pump since you will have the belt off but you don't want to buy a pump and THEN find out the compressor's clutch was the problem. The compressor pulley should spin freely but doesn't have to be super freely. It should turn easily with not much noise, if any at all. It doesn't have to keep spinning after you let it go but the more it spins freely, the better. Keep us updated.

Comment

im taking another car (1993 Mx-6) to the same dealer to get the air fixed in it, i'll ask them to pull up the history of what they did to my protege. Thanks and i'll keep you updated.

Comment

Originally posted by DarrylLeeOHS30
                  im taking another car (1993 Mx-6) to the same dealer to get the air fixed in it, i'll ask them to pull up the history of what they did to my protege. Thanks and i'll keep you updated.
                  We appreciate the updates. After you say you want the MX-6 repaired, then talk about the problems the A/C is causing to your power steering. Even if the work they did is out of warranty, you may get a nice guy that is willing to have it looked at for free since you're back for another car's A/C repair. Make it sound more like an A/C problem than a pump problem. By the way, the MX-6 will cost more to repair than the MX-6 unless it's a minor problem. The freon has probably all leaked out by now and old freon is WAY more expensive. Cars built from 94 down use the old A/C system. Some people just replace the ports to the new ones to use the current freon but there's a debate where some people say it's ok and others say it will damage your system. It will probably damage it but long term.
                  Last edited by mannydingo; 07-04-2006, 08:45 PM.

Comment

OMG why did you start talking about an MX-3.
                    Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

Where? Where did I say MX-3????

Comment

Originally posted by mannydingo
                        By the way, the MX-6 will cost more to repair than the MX-6 unless it's a minor problem.
                        does this quote make sense?
                        no.
                        because you change mx-3 to mx-6.
                        Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

It's a joke. It's supposed to be noticed that way. Didn't you notice the smiley face with the winking eye? Come on let's wake up and smell the coffee. It's a beautiful morning. It's time to rise & shine.

Comment

Did you not notice my
                            I know you chose to change it to that. I'm just pointing it out for postiterity(sp) for the people that have powersteering problems in the future.
                            so

and are we ever going to solve this guys problem?
                            Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

Originally posted by 98b/w pro
                              are we ever going to solve this guys problem?
                              Uh, NO. .................................................. .................................................. .................

Ok, let's keep trying. Helping him may help me. Well, he's got that squealing belt that you don't but that so many of us do. However, our squeaky belts don't cause the power steering to go unless the belt breaks, ofcourse. Sooooo, this obviously means that the slipping of the belt is mostly slipping on the power steering pump. It sounds like maybe the engaging of the A/C possibly moves the tightening mechanism to a looser point and retracts just enough to tighten the belt when turned off. This belt tightening mechanism is what I'm seeing more and more as the culprit in this ongoing squeaky belt issue and not a stretching belt. Why would the same brand belt not keep stretching on other cars? What's different about this guy's problem is the non-working pump. His belt obviously becomes super loose when A/C comes on. It seems the A/C gets priority from the belt because of its location or whatever and doesn't slip enough for A/C to not work.

Comment

ummmmm heres a guess the powersteering is Speed sensitive(go read the 98 brochure) your's(speed sensor) might be messed up. or you might have a small blockage/leak in the line. or god may hate you.
                                Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

Working...
                                X