Engine Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Swap

Okay, help would be really appreciated...I have a 98 Protege and love it, I got it brand new, but I am up to 125K miles already. I am looking to maybe SWAP for a new engine but if I do, I want a lot more HP....I have a 1.5L right now, anyone know what engine I should look into that would fit in easily with no trouble??

Originally posted by gkonop08
    Okay, help would be really appreciated...I have a 98 Protege and love it, I got it brand new, but I am up to 125K miles already. I am looking to maybe SWAP for a new engine but if I do, I want a lot more HP....I have a 1.5L right now, anyone know what engine I should look into that would fit in easily with no trouble??
    Any engine from any 95 through 98 Mazda Protege ES would fit perfectly since it's the same body shape. It's a 1.8 instead of a 1.5. You would ofcourse have to have the wiring harness that goes from the engine to the inside of the car and the computer that's inside the car also. There are guys here that have done the swap and will tell you of any other odds and ends from the ES that you will need to take from that car also. Your only difficulty will be finding the ES engine.

Comment

You can also use the 1.8 L from a kia sephia, but I don't remember the years exactly. Do a search and it'll pop up

Comment

I do recall. It's years 94 through 97 Kia GS. It has to be the Kia GS, if I recall correctly. Also, try to avoid the 94's and possibly even the 95's. That's because the OBDII computer system, like the one in your 98, started in 96. Some cars had it in 95 like the Protege so that one is ok but I don't know if the Kia had it in 95. Therefore, with the Kia GS stick with 96 and up unless you can confirm that their 95 also jumped the gun by one year and installed it in their 95's too. Doing this means if the engine you put in has all the sensors still on it you won't have to swap yours into it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the sensors thing.

Comment

Hey, thanks a lot guys, that helps a lot, just sucks I can not get a more powerful engine that the standard Mazda's

Comment

Originally posted by gkonop08
            Hey, thanks a lot guys, that helps a lot, just sucks I can not get a more powerful engine than the standard Mazda's
            But we are telling you that you can! You have the standard engine and we are explaining how you can swap in a "more powerful engine than the standard".

Comment

the 1.8 has lots more potential than the 1.5L i love ripping around my bp. its pretty much stock and a whole lot of fun, plus its very reliable and strong. i have 443000km on my motor and i still get rubber in third
              91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Working...
              X