No announcement yet.

IAC - BAC location and cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As this picture of both my 95/96 and 97/98 units shows, both have a separate BAC & IAC. The left is the 95/96.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mannydingo View Post
      As this picture of both my 95/96 and 97/98 units shows, both have a separate BAC & IAC. The left is the 95/96.
      How are they separate? They kind of look together to me in that pic as an interelated unit? I am not sure though....

Comment

Originally posted by eddie jr View Post
        How are they separate? They kind of look together to me in that pic as an interelated unit? I am not sure though....
        The difference is obvious in that one is fully metallic colored while the other is a black piece. If it were that they were somehow incorporated as one unit, the outside material that houses them would be different. I don't know what to tell you. It's day and night to me. If I can remember, I will try to take another angle of the unit if you want. The picture above I already had put on clubprotege so I just went back to that pick and copied it and then pasted it to my desktop. It made it easy to attach and re-post it.
        Last edited by mannydingo; 11-17-2006, 02:03 AM.

Comment

The difference is obvious in that one is fully metallic colored while the other is a black piece. If it were that they were somehow incorporated as one unit, the outside material that houses them would be different. I don't know what to tell you. It's day and night to me. If I can remember, I will try to take another angle of the unit if you want. The picture above I already had put on clubprotege so I just went back to that pick and copied it and then pasted it to my desktop. It made it easy to attach and re-post it.
          Ok, i see what you are saying but i think we are on different wavelengths. I know the black thing is the IAC and not metal but what I am referring to about potentially integrated is that the IAC plugs into the BAC and i think they share common passages bypassing the throttle plate. From what I read earlier in the documentation if i recall correctly, I believe it is something along these lines and they work together in adjusting idle to compound the effect (when the engine is cold). I will double check to see what it was it said exactly......

Comment

Ahh I see, it must be a 1.5l thing only.
            I've had my TB off on numerous occasions and only ever seen the IAC valve and the TPS.
            Ryan The middle child is always ignored
            BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
            Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Well, good news. I figured out my rich running problem (fuel pressure regulator) and now that choking is competely gone! It was related to the fuel issue as well. I may still try to clean the IAC but there is no great urgency now. It is a whole new car now and runs beautiful.

Comment

eddie jr,
                The security torx bits can be found at Advance Auto Parts (if there is one in your area, may be Checker, Schucks, & Kraegen) in a driver set. The brand name of the set is "Mech Power". Hope this helps.

Comment

So how did you get to the conclusion that it was the Fuel Pressure Regulator? Was it trial & error?

Comment

Originally posted by dkblu98pro View Post
                    eddie jr,
                    The security torx bits can be found at Advance Auto Parts (if there is one in your area, may be Checker, Schucks, & Kraegen) in a driver set. The brand name of the set is "Mech Power". Hope this helps.
                    Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately I am in Canada though, so we don't have advance auto. I have found some at a local store, just haven't got them yet since the car is running great now.

Comment

So how did you get to the conclusion that it was the Fuel Pressure Regulator? Was it trial & error?
                      Well, not trial and error....i am the type that hates throwing money at cars guessing and hoping for the best. Basically everything I looked at indicated running rich (plugs, reduced mileage, high HC's on etest). I also had a code P0170 Fuel Trim Malfunction. I ended up getting a scanner as it is pretty much needed nowadays with OBD2. I watched the data and nothing alarming other than the fuel trims were way negative (indicating the computer is leaning things out to correct for a rich condition.....no surprise given what i had already seen). An air leak is one possibility for that code so i pulled some vacuum lines and watched the trims....they went positive meaning it is now richening for a lean condition, so that ruled out air leak as I wouldn't have the negative fuel trims. So I moved to the fuel system since it is one of the most likely causes of rich running. I hooked up a gauge to test pressure and it was wayyyyyy high at 82psi (should be i think 47). I then started the car and it went to 92 which is showing that it is not being regulated (or the line is plugged). So i pulled the vacuum line off the regulator and no change at all in the pressure, indicating it was bad. Grabbed a new one and the pressure was back down in the 30's while running (where it should be). I then went for a drive with the scanner and the fuel trims were working properly and were within spec.
                      Last edited by eddie jr; 11-24-2006, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Beautiful! Patience is a virtue. All you need in life is two things: memory and patience. If you have those two, everything falls into place on its own. I have a poor memory which leads to inpatience and pay dearly for it.

Comment

Working...
                        X