very bad gas mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very bad gas mileage

My '96 LX 1.5L used to get 40mpg. That was 2 years/20k ago. Over time I watched it steadily fall to 24mpg!! This is horrible. What could cause such a drastic reduction? It keeps falling no matter what I do.

No change in driving habits. No check engine lights. Replaced spark plugs, plug wires, dist. cap and rotor. Replaced air filter. Given regular oil changes. I also checked timing, started using better gas along with injector cleaner... nothing has helped. Replaced both o2 sensors, which needed replacing, but it didn't affect my mpg AT ALL. There are no clear indications I'm running rich. No deposits on spark plugs. No other engine problems to speak of, besides a quiet and unstable idle. The exhaust smells a little rich, but only when i first start the engine. Could it be a slow fuel leak somewhere that evaporates before detection? OR maybe leaky injectors?

Tomorrow I'll check and clean my EGR valve/hoses, and also replace my fuel filter, but these are just two more shots in the dark. Any other ideas? I've done searches. Someone in the 1st gen forum had the exact same fuel economy problem w/symptoms but I think he gave up on it.

using "better" gas is just throwing your money away...your car is meant to run on 87.

i'd check the fuel filter and egr like you said...maybe you should check your timing if it smells rich.

Comment

Did you make sure the timing was advancing?
      Check tire pressure?
      Dragging brakes?
      Plugged cat?

Comment

Thats the thing i noticed on my car too. My driving habit has change a bit though. I have the simote intake and much larger wheels. NO CEL, replaced fuel filter, basically all the stuffs in the car is still A1 shape. Strange but its ok, I drive like 9 miles to work so maybe thats the thing.

JDM inspired protege with super rare mazdaspeed parts.

Comment

Working...
        X