New IRTB/MS setup progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New IRTB/MS setup progress

Here is my new setup for the engine. The engine is rebuilt and ready to go in, I don't have any pics though and I just finished the megasquirt. I am using what is essentially a miata's setup with the CAS and dual coils. And a set of 38 mm throttle bodies, the manifold is made of 6061 Al and carbon, so if nothing else i am dropping some weight the whole rig weighs 2.3 pounds. They are small, but overall larger than stock, I wanted to keep this as a daily driver eventually so I am not going too crazy with the setup yet. I am working on making a 4 into 1 header for it, I don't have any pics of that yet either though.
    From Carbon/6061 IRTB

From Carbon/6061 IRTB

That looks like fun.
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Are you gonna do a HOW TO? Maybe list where you got your material?
      Frank
      92 EGT
      03.5 MSP
      05 ZX-6R

Comment

Well, it would require access to the molds for the carbon runners or cutting your own on a cnc machine out of pattern block. I can upload the solidworks models I made if anyone is interested in those, and the models for the flanges. I had the flanges water-jet cut out of 6061 aluminum 3/8 plate. The runners are 8 layers of pre-preg carbon fiber standard weave. Lay those up in the molds and vacuum bag and cook them off. I used Hysol aerospace adhesive (holds airplanes and champ car chassis' together, it should work for this.) to hold it all together. I had to use a jig when gluing to space everything together. Its about 65$ worth of aluminum and $100 or $150 in carbon(the price is high at the moment because of the shortage from airbus and boeing building a lot of new planes.) and a lot of time. The runners would change shape depending on what irtb's you went with. 38mm ones from any of the 600cc sportbikes would flow enough for a pretty much stock motor. Cams and higher compression would probably want larger ones. I welded the bottom of the throttle bodies to the plates to give me bolt on throttle bodies and avoid the whole "my intake is held together with silicon couplers" look. But that is about it. I am going to use the idle air control valve from an older bmw with the megasquirt and have it routed through the bike injector bungs on the tbs to control idle and provide a vacuum source for the brake booster. I think i have some pics from when i was laying it up and jigging it up for glue. I will post if i find

Comment

That is funny, i just looked at your sig. my Tbs came off of a kwak 636

Comment

looks good

1996 ST205 Toyota Celica GT4 | 1991 BG 323 Astina GT, BP N/A 138WHP *Gone*.
            1990 BG Ford Laser S (jdm), soon to be 220whp KL-ZE track hack

Comment

i'm interested to see what gains the itb setup will have. i was thinking of using the intake manifold from a toyota 20valve 4age which runs a 4 throttle body setup since i couldn't find one of those mazdaspeed itb kits for the bp engine.

Comment

quite interesting.
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I need to make a manifold like that for my toyota ae101 IRTB's
                  Frank
                  92 EGT
                  03.5 MSP
                  05 ZX-6R

Comment

but ideally we should try and track down this kit...
                    Attached Files

Comment

That doesnt work with the 99 head, plus I already have the IRTB's
                      Frank
                      92 EGT
                      03.5 MSP
                      05 ZX-6R

Comment

Originally posted by G85 View Post
                        but ideally we should try and track down this kit...
                        whats the price on that kit?
                        1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

i honestly have no idea yet. i'm still trying to track 1 kit down...new or used.

Comment

That kit is really nice. I have never seen that before. That is what I am thinking of doing for an air box though. Route air from outside the engine bayy somewhere to it.

Comment

i'm really looking forward to your finished itb project.

Comment

Working...
                              X