New '96 owner.. couple of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New '96 owner.. couple of questions

Greetings, everyone. I just purchased a '96 Protege with the Z5 (1.5L) engine and 5-speed manual transmission. It's a one-owner car (now two!) and has about 104,000 miles on the odometer. So far, I am pleased with the car but it seems to have the famous "idle drop" problem I've read so much about. I purchased a used IAC valve on eBay (looks pretty clean from the pictures) and the TB/IAC gaskets from the local dealer and I'm planning to install it.. hopefully that solves the issue.

What I'm really curious about, though, is the intake valve issue. At one point, I discovered a Mazda TSB referring to '95-'98 Proteges having an issue with the intake valves. I'm not referring to the '95 valve spring recall, but rather an issue with the valves themselves. The TSB referred to redesigned intake valves and even provided part numbers. Two questions here... (1) does anyone have a link to this TSB, and (2) how prevalent is this problem, really? I'm planning to do a compression check but everything seems in order as far as idle (except the drop issue) and acceleration.

Thanks!

Just in case anyone's interested...

The replacement IAC valve did the trick; the idle drop has been cured.

Also, the compression check revealed that all is well.

I think these 2nd generation Proteges are great.. good handling & excellent fuel economy. Who could ask for anything more? (Well, a little more power couldn't hurt ).

Comment

Working...
    X